• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Trailer 10-15 Foot Length

Hummer Guy

Is there any MV trailer for the humvee that has 10 - 12 feet in length of cargo space? From what I seen, the original most used trailer for the humvee has a cargo space a little under 8ft in length, I would like to find something that's slightly longer

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gooseneck isn't it?
The two version I have are 5th wheel. Both were designed as shelter carriers for the Humvee, but I use my M1028A2 to pull them.

The third picture is the frame and 5th wheel for a Humvee, by the time the trailer came to me, that part was long gone! Picture 4 is from the internet showing a different 5th wheel setup.

These trailers are like hens teeth though, I've only seen two of each. There are other types, but I've not seen any of those in person.

Cheers

1b - Copy.jpgss4010.jpg2013-05-07 2.jpgdc862be980460cd61b914f1b8bffcc4a.jpg

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the most attractive trailers ever built.
That is very true!

I got the smaller one from a guy in Indiana for pretty cheap, the big one came out of a farmer's field near Fort Hood, paid $200 for that one.

The "small" one now has an S788 on it, the bigger one I added Humvee fenders and a diamond plate deck to haul my M274 (Mule) on it. I took the big box off, it just wasn't useful there, and added a spare tire rack and the platform from an M1087. The tool box on the left fender isn't attached, I was just seeing how it looked.

Cheers

ss205.jpgMSTG-7.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that you mention those, this is my stripped DRASH trailer. ;)
Don't know why that one didn't cross my mind with the original question, I suppose because I consider it more of an LMTV trailer than Humvee. I'll have to go measure how long/wide the deck is. I know it is 56" of clear space side-to-side between the inner wheel wells

The deck has a BIG hole at the front where a large piece of equipment (generator? Looks like it) sat before, and a smaller very lightly decked section between the wheel wells, both would need a suitable flooring to the trailer usable. Also that mid-deck cross frame is fixed. I intend to cut it and put holders and lock pins similar to the back top and two front top side ones. Those side ones were missing when I got the trailer, but were easy to replace with 8' sections of 2" aluminium square tube.

Picture 4, recovering it up with the Tahoe, will give a good indication of size. The two small boxes on the sides have hinged lids, but both were very loose on mine, so I popped them off for the trip home.

Cheers

Edit -
deck is 166" long
82" wide, except between wheel wells, which is 56"

1 - Copy.jpg SS 2.jpg SS 3.jpg SS 4.jpg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that you mention those, this is my stripped DRASH trailer. ;)
Don't know why that one didn't cross my mind with the original question, I suppose because I consider it more of an LMTV trailer than Humvee. I'll have to go measure how long/wide the deck is. I know it is 56" of clear space side-to-side between the inner wheel wells

The deck has a BIG hole at the front where a large piece of equipment (generator? Looks like it) sat before, and a smaller very lightly decked section between the wheel wells, both would need a suitable flooring to make them usable. Also that mid-deck cross frame is fixed. I intend to cut it and put holders and lock pins similar to the back top and two front top side ones. Those were missing when I got the trailer, but were easy to replace with 8' sections of 2" aluminium square tube.

Picture 4, recovering it up with the Tahoe, will give a good indication of size. The two small boxes on the sides have hinged lids, but both were very loose on mine, so I popped them off for the trip home.

Cheers

Edit -
deck is 166" long
82" wide, except between wheel wells, which is 56"

View attachment 918536 View attachment 918537 View attachment 918538 View attachment 918539
Typically they were an ECU at the front, and generator mounted between the fenders, though some other variants do exist.

I believe military rated these as 6k lb trailers when towed behind larger trucks, and 4200 if towed by the HMMWV. Until you get to the big trailer they rated for 12k, they all had the same axles, wheels, brakes, etc.

I towed one with a 35kw generator and 12 ton ECU for 3 years behind a 5 ton expando van (M934A2) in Korea. The longer wheel base made it MUCH easier to back up than the shorter versions.

I've been hoping to come across one of those for a few years now. I ended up with the shortest version, and put an MEP802 5kw generator onto it. Nice thing about the small version was the 55 gallon fuel tank built into it, where all the larger ones were about 20-30 gallon as day tanks.

awolhmv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks