• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee won't start

Chagawaga

I just bought me a 1993 HMMWV that ran perfect. I took it to Avis lube changed the oil filled it with diesel ( the fuel gauge was 1/4 but it too 20 gallons. Lesson number 1) drove it around perfect.
Left it for two days now it cranks but wont start. I jumped the batteries and kept trying to crank to no avail. I am no diesel mechanic but things I tried:
1-Cracked fuel line to see if fuel is getting there. ( two rubber tubes have fuel but metal o e on i jectoe head doesnt. Whats that anyway?)
2- traced line back to the " carburetor equivalent " just where it feeds the cylinders, it had flow when cranking but just a little. Is that okay?
3- did continuity check on one glow pluck and it checked good.(voltmeter between cable and glow plug). I can see voltage dropping down when wait light is on so I think they are good.
Its 40 degrees outside ( i read about diesel becoming gel like in cold weather)
4-There is no smoke when I crank.
Help please.

springbok

Open one of the fuel lines right at the injector and get someone to crank it for you and see if you get fuel out at the injector. Unless you meant that in the " carburetor equivalent "
Sounds like no fuel to me.

Chagawaga

I think youre right. I just watched some youtube videos. The injector line is not getting fuel. I cracked it open but no fuel when I crank.
Where do I start to check? And locations please.
Also what are these two rubber hoses next to injector line? These have fuel in them.
Thabks a lot

springbok

The rubber hoses are overflow lines they recycle excess fuel back.
I would make sure you have fuel coming out of your injector pump, that is towards the from between the heads.
It almost sounds like the pump is going / gone bad. If there is no fuel to the injectors then that is the next point up the line.
Follow the fuel trail from injector to pump out side, then pump in side.
If you get it into the pump but nothing out it is clogged or bad.

ari

Maby the fuel filter i had one so dirty and cloged the truck would barley run hard to start too. Replaced it and cleaned out the lines and it ran as normal .

ari

Drivers side to the left of the windshield washer bottle looks like a aluminum canister with hoses on top and one on the bottom

snowtrac nome

Also look close at the plug going into the pump for the shut off solenoid. Soldiers walk across the top of the engine and break the plug or wire to it

SEEMS NO BODY READS THE NO STEP TAG ON TOP OF THE ENGINE

Chagawaga

I might sound like a nerdy person that go bythe book. I just checked the procedure on the MANUAL it says "check for incorrect engine oil"
How would that prefent engine from starting?

Carrera911

Take the engine cover off and on the left you'll see a silver can that is the fuel filter. Pull the rubber line off that I believe is closer to you, it'll be the one that doesn't go towards the engine intake and to the injection pump. Run the line into a plastic bottle and crank the engine. It should pump big squirts of diesel into the bottle a couple times a second and fill half the bottle in about 5 seconds. If this works then you're at least getting fuel up into the injection pump.

Action

so, he has fuel coming out the return lines but not the injector lin? Is that possible? or was it just residual liquid in the return lines?

Find the tip of the e-brake handle when down....there are two bolts in the firewall right there. Those are holding the fuel filter on the other side.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No fuel at injector means fuel solenoid is not energized....or major blockage in fuel line from tank to IJ pump.
make sure you have 24v to the rear center plug on the IJ pump, turn the key, touch the lead to the post and see if it clicks.
no clicky, no worky....

Chagawaga

And the problem is....... The fuel pump no diesel coming out. Do you think I can get one for a 6.2 diesel engine from autozone?
( it doesnt have a vent hole on top)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks