• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee

Coonhunter

I was out hunting I cast the dogs loose and when I was going through some mud it felt like the transmission was slipping I stop the truck and went to go again and I thought maybe that I did not release the E break or something stupid I drove the Humvee for about a half hour before this I shut the Humvee off and walked the dogs and came back out when I want to leave the transmission started slipping for sure so I put it in four Lo it got it moving for a little bit and then it slipped out to a complete stop put it in neutral and check the transmission fluid fluid level was good but the fluid seems to be almost clear with not a lot of red I do not believe there is water in it but anyway I let it sit for 45 minutes and went down the road with no problems until I arrived home a half hour later and it slipped a little bit when I went up my driveway it went into reverse fine any suggestions ideas on what the problem may be things I should try first before getting a mechanic??? The transmission and engine was rebuilt in 2009 and supposedly after rebuild sat around until I purchased it

NormB

I was out hunting I cast the dogs loose and when I was going through some mud it felt like the transmission was slipping I stop the truck and went to go again and I thought maybe that I did not release the E break or something stupid I drove the Humvee for about a half hour before this I shut the Humvee off and walked the dogs and came back out when I want to leave the transmission started slipping for sure so I put it in four Lo it got it moving for a little bit and then it slipped out to a complete stop put it in neutral and check the transmission fluid fluid level was good but the fluid seems to be almost clear with not a lot of red I do not believe there is water in it but anyway I let it sit for 45 minutes and went down the road with no problems until I arrived home a half hour later and it slipped a little bit when I went up my driveway it went into reverse fine any suggestions ideas on what the problem may be things I should try first before getting a mechanic??? The transmission and engine was rebuilt in 2009 and supposedly after rebuild sat around until I purchased it
Coonhunter? Y'all aren't from around here, are you? :shock:

Please post details of: make, model, engine, transmission, transfer case, etc. Mileage is irrelevant, speedometer/engine/trans/TC swaps are about as common as 20 Baht love notes.

Pictures might be helpful, too. Drippage.

Someone will be along to help shortly.

Oh, and welcome to Steel Soldiers. Glad you could join us.

Norm

papakb

Heck Norm, I almost always paid at least 100 Baht for a love note, even in Sattahip! Guess I'll follow you around next time! You only going short time? LOL

I think the first thing I'd do here is a filter, flush and fill on the trans. I can't imaging where you could be getting clear fluid from. Your not checking it with a red flashlight are you?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a pan and remove the top fill plug of the transfer case, if you have a lot of oil coming out, you probably have a broken cooler line in the transfer case.
You can bypass the transfer case tube and have the transmission go directly to the cooler, unless you are pulling a tank, you can do without the cooler line in the transfer case

NormB

Heck Norm, I almost always paid at least 100 Baht for a love note, even in Sattahip! Guess I'll follow you around next time! You only going short time? LOL

I think the first thing I'd do here is a filter, flush and fill on the trans. I can't imaging where you could be getting clear fluid from. Your not checking it with a red flashlight are you?
Purple love note was 100 Baht/$20. Been a LONG time. Thanks for the memory check

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Coonhunter. For the love of all things good in this world, how about changing the title to something other than HMMWV that is in the HMMWV forum. Say what's wrong or just say @CoonHunter's Having Problems with his H-DOG.

/jws

Outlaw123

New glow plugs, changed fuel filter.. now won't start without a shot of starting fluid.. runs fine when warm... But cold .. glow plugs cycle.. and just cranks.. shot of juice.. glow plugs the crank and fires like a new one. WTH

BLK HMMWV

Outlaw123 I'd suggest you start your own new thread.
I'd also suggest you stop using starting fluid .
Plenty of post regarding starting fluid in previous threads.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's confusing is the re-animation of an old thread. Might I suggest you start a new thread where you introduce yourself and your rig. Tell us the year, engine type, tranny type, and a few pics make things more fun.

This thread dies early January 2018, and suddenly you chose to re-animate it Outlaw without really giving us any reason why.

Also, did you purge your system after the filter change?

ALERT>>>BLK HMMWV is trying to warn you that you will permanently damage your engine with starter fluid. I suggest you read up on your HUMMWV immediately by looking up old threads and such PRIOR to working on your vehicle. Start by searching the phrase starter fluid!

I also suggest you refer to the many and free for use technical manuals posted here on Steel Soldiers. They are long and boring BUT ESSENTIAL!!!!

Read and ask questions before you do anything for the first time until you get comfortable.

ALSO ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY PRIOR TO DOING ANY WORK ON YOUR HMMWV!!!!!!

My humble $.02

T