• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvees in the winter

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen a winter in the truck yet. What can I expect? Hows the heater (in cab) typically? Ease of starting? Anyone use an engine coolant heater? Are the winterization kits worth the crazy expense? All feedback welcome!

Maple Leaf Eh

I drove a VW Golf diesel in Saskatchewan for many years. It was -56 deg one week, and I had to be at work every day. Every parking lot was full of idling vehicles, because no one wanted to tempt fate by restarting after a cold soak. Flying was suspended that day because the Flight Surgeon decided that if someone got into trouble had to get out of their airplane, they would be incapacitated by the cold and therefore unable to perform their emergency drills. That and the ground crews had trouble bending cold fuel hoses to top up the tanks.

Here are a few recollections: buy regular pump diesel, don't try to out-smart the refineries and suppliers; if the air so blessed cold that you have great difficulty starting and running, consider cutting the diesel with up to 25% kerosene; use a 'storm front' on the grill to mask off direct cold air on the radiator, carpet or cardboard or canvas will suffice; do not ever put the cover directly on the radiator; if your vehicle has a block heater, use is it; in the deepest cold days, I used a battery blanket and a magnetic block heater to keep things more liquid than congealed; and finally, when you park the vehicle, crack the side window to vent the warmed air to the outdoors as a way to reduce moisture inside which will condense and freeze on the windows.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab is cold as ___K. No defrost on window hard to see. if a soft top you will freeze to death. Truck runs like Cr_p if really cold and on ice it WILL NOT STOP. Great on deep snow up to about 3 ft but on ice it WILL NOT STOP. Have I told you that on ice IT WILL NOT STOP I am not kidding this is the worlds biggest curling rock on ice. I have had both a Humvee and a H1 Hummer and the Hummer is warmer but that's all. Beware ice.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you are sliding on a sheet of ice the brakes still work fine the tires wont be spinning with brakes applied but you will still be sliding on the ice.

gcbennet

The heater sucks and you'll only get warm air at best. You'd think the Humvee would put out nuclear heat but it doesn't, I'm guessing because of the poor design and small size of the heater. In comparison my Iltis with its little 1.7 4 cyl puts out so much heat you can't hold your hand in front of the blower for more than a few seconds. I drive my Humvee all year round and am forced to wear a coat, toque, and gloves in the winter because it typically doesn't get warm enough inside to even stop seeing your breath. However, I usually install the curtain to separate the front from the rear seats and that seems to help retain a lot of the warmth. As eaw46 mentioned above, stopping this thing on frozen roads is a nightmare and you're at the mercy of inertia wherever it takes you once you lose traction. On a good note, if you wind up in the ditch you can get out quite easily. lol

When I first got my truck a few years back it barely blew any warm air at all. I removed the heater core and discovered it was plugged with sediment. I fashioned a hose to blast hot water from my laundry room washtub faucet through the inlet pipe, and another hose to eject said water back into the tub. After much thunking and banging big chunks of the reddish-brown sediment came spilling out, and after a while the water pressure coming out was about equal to what was going in, so I knew it was pretty much clear at that point. Now she blows nice warm air, but not hot by any means. I've heard of people putting in the ambulance heaters or whatever in the back, so that may be an option for you.

2w091

I spend quite a bit of time in winter in ours, only have a stock heater. I "modified" it a bit with flexible (old vacuum cleaner) hose running from the box to the drivers side. I can adjust it from my feet to my face, just not both at the same time :lol:. It works well enough not to freeze, but I wouldn't call it warm, not sure how any back seat passengers would fare. I hardly ever have them, but I guess I'd just pass them the hose. Never had a problem with defrost, I replaced the ducting and the fan puts out enough air to defrost and the front cab vents. The stranded people we pick up think it's a pretty cool vehicle.
The thing is a beast in the snow, I've pulled everything from large dually F-350's to passenger cars out of the ditch with ease. Icy conditions are a different story, the rear brakes lock up before the front. Let's just say I've had a couple interesting experiences unintentionally exploring the performance limits of spinning around on a 4 lane highway. Can't say it was fun, but was a learning experience.:roll:

Action

I put a thermometer in the dash duct, and I get 133 degrees F. But that is with the latest style heat / a/c.

I can sell new 2-man arctic kits if anyone is interested. The rear curtain runs all the way to the floor behind the front seats. The doors, top, and curtain are heavily insulated. GREEN.

NEIOWA

As I recall the right side/officers seat has somewhat better heat than drivers. Still weak though and the guy in the hatch got that hose directed ontp his feet.

Chain up and they do fine on ice.

teteacher101

I was actually looking forward to driving mine around during the WI winters an contemplated several options of affordable auxiliary heaters-especially to get more heat towards the back. Some ideas I had were (2) 24v electric heaters, a 24v to 110v AC converter to plug in a "home" type electric heater, a 24v to 12v converter to use a cigerette lighter style terminal defroster/heater, misc. 24v equipment type cab heaters, newer Ford Super Duty HVAC electric grid heater module, etc. After realizing the charging systems on these probably don't want a lot more load already an that hydronic systems are more efficient an can put out more BTU's with less energy-I decided that a aftermarket UTV heater kit will probably be the best option. Now, I ran out of time this winter to install one so I have been letting the old girl run for about 30 minutes prior to driving anywhere, then it runs outside wherever I stop. Dressed in a winter coat, hat, an gloves-about 0 degrees outside, a 8 mile trek to town was bearable-my kids in the back-not so much!

So my thought is when I do install it, I will tap into the heater hoses under the hood an use pex tubing to pipe it to the back, and I would possibly hang the heater assembly from the roll bar-not 100% sure yet but I'm thinking summer project!

P.S. You learn to appreciate traction control and ABS brakes when you get complacent driving the Humvee an hit an icy patch-it definitely wakes you up!

erasedhammer

The heater sucks and you'll only get warm air at best. You'd think the Humvee would put out nuclear heat but it doesn't, I'm guessing because of the poor design and small size of the heater. In comparison my Iltis with its little 1.7 4 cyl puts out so much heat you can't hold your hand in front of the blower for more than a few seconds. I drive my Humvee all year round and am forced to wear a coat, toque, and gloves in the winter because it typically doesn't get warm enough inside to even stop seeing your breath. However, I usually install the curtain to separate the front from the rear seats and that seems to help retain a lot of the warmth. As eaw46 mentioned above, stopping this thing on frozen roads is a nightmare and you're at the mercy of inertia wherever it takes you once you lose traction. On a good note, if you wind up in the ditch you can get out quite easily. lol

When I first got my truck a few years back it barely blew any warm air at all. I removed the heater core and discovered it was plugged with sediment. I fashioned a hose to blast hot water from my laundry room washtub faucet through the inlet pipe, and another hose to eject said water back into the tub. After much thunking and banging big chunks of the reddish-brown sediment came spilling out, and after a while the water pressure coming out was about equal to what was going in, so I knew it was pretty much clear at that point. Now she blows nice warm air, but not hot by any means. I've heard of people putting in the ambulance heaters or whatever in the back, so that may be an option for you.

That's interesting cause my heater does produce nuclear heat. Used it great during 20 degree weather. Of course the defrost and heater don't work until the engines up to temp.

snowtrac nome

if you want heat there is plenty of space to add a cat heater say from a 966-c coupled with a good thermostat you will make your own contribution to global warming. Herein Alaska we used stewart warner combustion heaters when they work they are nice. Fuel isn't cheap and neither are parts for the 10530 heater which seemed to have a lot of problems with the atomizer. Another fuel burning alternative comes from Russia in the form of a plainair combustion heater I rigged one up on a passenger cabin for my snow cat and have to say it worked as well as a more expensive wabasto.

DatGuyC

It doesn't get super cold here, lowest is teens usually, but I've found that the heater doesnt really keep you warm as much as just keeps you from freezing to death. I'm usually ok with normal shoes and a decent coat most of the time. I do have the soft cargo cover on mine and I think that helps keep the wind down and the heat in though.

Action

Are you guys closing the fresh air intake? If not, the heater just has to work overtime to heat the air. Closing this vent is like the recirculation button in the car.

gcbennet

It's the archaic-looking lever on the RH side wall of the pax foot well that rotates on its own axis- I believe it's towards you is open and pushed forward is closed. The air intake louvers are clearly visible on the outside FWD of the pax door. There's also supposed to be a steel mesh screen in place. When I got my truck several years ago the whole setup was seized shut and I had to disassemble and clean everything.

gcbennet

I'm also guilty of closing the vent in the winter. My theory was that the freezing cold air being rammed in from the outside while driving was bringing the heater temp down, and the thing needs all the help it can get.