• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hunter Heater

M1075

Anyone familiar with the tent heaters made by www.hunterheater.com ? I have not had any luck in getting mine to operate. It only has 106 hours on the clock, but it might be DOA. I have tried to diagnose with the manual but can't get any lights on the controller. It looks to be very complicated piece with a lot of wiring and hoochie doooos on the inside.

Also, does it require a special fuel can or a special fitting to use the gravity feed connector included with the kit (see last pic). I have seen water cans with a large opening and male threads, but all the fuel cans I have have the 2" female pipe threads. Any ideas?

Attachments

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

I have several of these units myself and our rescue group has them as well--- their weak link is the battery pack..... it is a split pack of stacked dry hawker cyclon 2volt cells maing two banks of 12volts each....... it works sort of like a series parallel switch-- the two banks in the pack are placed in series for starting the unit by the controller then paralleled once the unit reaches operating temp....... All my packs showed full voltage when testing with a meter but could not produce sufficient current. I ended up carefully opening the packs and replacing the cells inside (the hawker cyclon cells are commercially available as they are used in telecom and home pc backup power supplies. They are expensive though-- expect to spend about 10 bucks each and the pack takes 12 cells). as a last resort, two emergency exit sign 12v lead acid cells from lowes will work if wired correctly into the plug........... I am willing to bet that your battery pack is to blame

Ziggy

M1075

Ziggy-

Thanks for the intel. I am in the process of doing a trickle charge on the battery pack. When your batteries showed full voltage, but insufficient current, did they at least power the lights on the controller? Is there anyway to direct wire 12V into the plug to test the heater out before I replace/rebuild a battery pack?

jasonjc

That cap is for the new plastic fuel cans. You shuld be able to hook 2 12v batterys to the plug to test run it. When I was in all we had was the pot belly stoves. All you needed with those is a "bic":wink:

M1075

Thanks Jason. When I checked their website, it looks like they have an optional 24v slave adapter. That would be nice to have so I could boost off my trucks whenever needed. I don't think I even want to know what the manufacturer would charge for a battery or that optional adapter. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a surplus one?

pstav123

I have one of these heaters and am anxious to get it running. I think the TEG is ok. The battery is not, but that's easily fixed.

What I don't have is the control head. I think they are about $600. plus the $200 cable.

Can anybody show me or photograph the inside of the control box? I'm hoping I can get the heater running just by jumpering a couple of pins--just faking out the on/off switch.

Thanks,

--paul