• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane and LMTV

reelclassic

I am preparing for hurricane in the Jacksonville area. May get a bad storm surge and have the ability to help people in need.
How deep can you get an LMTV and keep it running without ruining it.

Thanks

sargentwolf

30 inches, per the manual. Long as the intake is above water AND water doesnt get into the electrical panel, you should be ok.

Do go under the truck and make sure the plug under the flywheel is covering the drain hole and turn off the fan before driving through water.

Heres another thread with pics and videos on what NOT to do. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?148729-LMTV-and-Deep-Water-Fording3

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
30" and I would go no more than 50" in a life and death one time deal and in still water and that deep have the fan switched off. Remember a little fording = lots of maintenance also remember the folks that came up with the specs had lots of $$, parts and guys whose only job is to fix and maintain them. !!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently they will run until water runs into the air intake stack. That said, I would personally not drive in water above the bottom of the fixed cab step. None of the electric components in the cab are intended to be submerged.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please be safe! Dirty water hides lots of stuff. I know we feel in invincible in the big trucks, but soil gets washed away, sinkholes happen submerged hazards... roads wash out. Hanksdeuce just spent days helping in Louisiana last month. He had a helper much of the time. Definitely use a spotter with a pole and go slow in the deep unknown.

sargentwolf

In the -10, page 2-132

If you go under the truck and look at the back of the engine, theres a random bolt with a open hole next to it. Thats the plug

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trans control is decently seals against splash and drip but submerged for any period I think water would make its way in and cause issues. None of the dash wiring is truly mil spec waterproof. In an emergency it is what it is you can get another truck. I would be comfortable taking my truck into fresh water up to the doors. Salt water is a different story that stuff ruins everything.

kenet3621

Thanks sargentwolf! I was searching the TMs with the wrong words. I looked under my truck and sure enough looks just like the page 2-132 diagram you referenced.
In case anyone else needs the page...

Capture.jpg

buffalorunner

There are two answers really. The first being exactly what has been stated, 30"-32" inches of standing water. Any time you are over the hub center with water for any amount of time, you are trusting that your system is sealed well. Water penetration will not cause damage immediately, but if not removed will get costly with time and money quickly down the road.
That being said, if you need to save your own life or someone else, the max depth for water is really a non issue. You could drive in water up to your chest...while in the cab...

coachgeo

Sat out many a hurricanes when lived in FL panahandle. Best of luck to everyone on the eastern side. My buddy and his kid (PanamaMv) from FL where up visiting me for a while. They hopped back on their bikes cutting the father/son retirement trip short and headed south to Atlanta with plans to go out onto FL, GA, or SC coast to help out once things pass thru. Stay safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks