• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane Florence

69birdman

That time of year again brothers, peak of season on the east coast. Everyone fueled, locked & loaded ready, Florence may get close.
I just added a 50amp distribution box to my setup.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm focused on Tropical Depression 9. It's tracking similar to Harvey. Good luck on Florence! I hope everyone stays safe and it is not that bad.

R Racing

I believe if things still continue in the same direction, Hellen is following Florance as far as direction. Been lucky as Isabel has been the last bad 1 here

csheath

Hope everyone stays safe through this season!

I will be watching all of them. Hope 9 doesn't get strong and head for the gulf. I can usually get my fuel drums topped up on a days notice, two at the most. This Sunday is my regular test day and I put in new batteries last week and ran it unloaded some.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not close to significantly ready. No Gen yet and house is surrounded by trees, at least most are away from the house. I have a setup for a Gen, grounding rod already installed, right by the main, put a privacy fence up to hide it visually, even a shore power plug I can reconfigure to charge it up... but don't have the gen yet. LOL.

I do have camping and food supplies.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last projection I saw put Florence coming ashore on the NC-SC border, but the computer models showed it could come ashore anywhere between Cape Canaveral, Fl, and New Jersey, as a CAT 4 storm.

Attachments

Katahdin

I'm filling up my 55 gal diesel drum today. Lifting 5 gallon cans got old when I lost power for 5 days after a fierce windstorm in the northeast last fall. I added the drum and a pump after that outage. Each major storm teaches me to get a little better about preparedness.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hunkered down in Chengdu China (on vacation) hoping everything is going to be OK for the east coast.

biz

I'm filling up my 55 gal diesel drum today. Lifting 5 gallon cans got old when I lost power for 5 days after a fierce windstorm in the northeast last fall. I added the drum and a pump after that outage. Each major storm teaches me to get a little better about preparedness.
What genset do you have?

Zed254

I'm hunkered down in Chengdu China (on vacation).....
When I think vacation, somehow Chengdu China never comes up. Europe, South America, visited SW Africa one time, but never central China. I believe I would suffer cultural shock for the first couple weeks of such a trip. But I do like Americanized Chinese food!![thumbzup]

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Atlantic Daily Briefing
Issued: 04:15 AM CDT Sunday September 09, 2018
Active Systems

NameMax WindClassificationLatLon
Florence70 mphTropical Storm24.5N55.7W
Helene60 mphTropical Storm13.2N22.8W
Isaac50 mphTropical Storm14.5N38.0W
Florence
Florence is located about 765 miles to the southeast of Bermuda. Florence is moving to the west near 6 mph. This motion should continue for the next 12 to 18 hours, followed by a gradual turn to the west-northwest. Winds are currently 70 mph. Our latest forecast takes Florence inland in the southeast United States early Friday as a strong category 3 hurricane. Please see our latest advisory for more information.
Helene
Tropical Storm Helene is located about 115 miles south-southeast of the southern Cape Verde Islands. Helene is moving westward near 14 mph. Helene is forecast to pass near the southern Cape Verde Islands today. Winds are currently estimated at 65 mph. Helene could be near hurricane intensity when it moves near or over the Cape Verde Islands. Please see our latest advisory for more information.
Isaac
Tropical Depression Nine has become Tropical Storm Isaac, and is located about 1520 miles east of the Lesser Antilles. The maximum sustained winds are near 50 mph. Isaac is expected to become a hurricane over the next 18-24 hours, and move through the Lesser Antilles as a hurricane on Thursday. Once in the Caribbean Sea, we think Isaac will weaken fairly quickly due to unfavorable conditions. Please see our latest advisory for more information.
Other Disturbances / Areas to Watch
Disturbance 36 is located Near 32N / 66W. There has been little overall change in organization and development chances are around 10 percent due to strong upper-level winds in the area. Very little movement is expected.
A nontropical low is expected to form north of the Azores in the early part of next week. There is a 30 percent chance that this low could become a tropical or a subtropical cyclone within the next 7 days.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I think vacation, somehow Chengdu China never comes up. Europe, South America, visited SW Africa one time, but never central China. I believe I would suffer cultural shock for the first couple weeks of such a trip. But I do like Americanized Chinese food!![thumbzup]
In the spirit of full disclosure I am married to a Chinese woman. She has been wanting to show me around China for a long time. I'm finally taking a real vacation from work to do it.

Culture shock is a real thing. Many things that are normal here would not work in the US or Europe.

I'm enjoying the experience but also looking forward to being back home. Not looking forward to any potential damage we will get in central NC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks