• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydramatic Trans fluid

Mastertech

Ok so there are going to be new comers to this forum that have these trucks and we dont need to debating this question anymore. It has been told to all of us by the person that is probably the most qualfied/experienced person in the country if not the world about these transmissions and these trucks and what fluid to use. Search the post Hydramatic heaven read it, learn it, know it, there will be a test later.
There is no advantage to using non detergent oils in these trans they only used it because they didnt have anything better at the time. Auto transmissions and lubricants were in there infancy at the time. Hy Tran Tractor fluid has extreme presure additives, friction modifiers. and seal conditioners in it among other things that I dont pretend to know. I am not a lubrication engineer But I do Have 30+ years in the automotive service/repair and one thing I have learned is if you dont know something then find someone who knows or find the info some other way maybe a book, manual, online info system, weed thru the B.S. do what makes the most sense. this is in my Not So Humble Opinion so take it for you think it is worth. or not, But read the post Hydramatic Heaven. Any questions?

Thank you for listening

MasterTech

Byron Parkinson
Maximum performance Inc
Puyallup WA.

Stalwart

I TOTALLY agree with you!

I had an M211 that I bought from someone who listened to that old camp that you need non-detergent oil in the transmission. What do you get . . . foam, no anti foaming additives in the oil and it KILLS the transmission. Foam will not apply needed pressure to hold clutches and bands tightly together and you get slippage. I had my transmission last ALMOST 24 hours after I bought it. I got a rebuilt one from those untrained monkeys at Memphis Equipment and it lasted 70 miles. I ended up giving the truck away and it was MINT (minus the trans), it got a rebuilt unit surplus and is fine now living on ATF.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to see these testimonies. I have been saying switch to ATF in these trucks for years with still some resistance because of what was specified when these trucks were in the military. I changed mine over and got over 20 years of severe trouble-free service on the farm and plowing snow out of it before I finally retired the truck. A transmission shop owner that had worked on them in the military flatly said get the motor oil out of it.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks