• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic clutch pump?

ranchand

I am gearing up to do a dump bed conversionand am wondering if anyone has done and/or has any thoughts on using a Haldex hydraulic clutch pump? Here are some ?s I am considering?

Will the pully on the pump work with the dueces?

Does this pump have enough output?

Does anyone have any good ideas on how/where I can mount the pump?

Also, does anyone know of anyone know of any other members and/or resoures in my area?

The pump I am considering is at Northern Tool, I would post a link but my mouse is on the fritz and i dont have a right cliclk button ( : Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

tm america

they work really good alot of tow trucks have that type of pump on them. i have seen some deuces with them mounted right above the alt. the pulley is matched to the output of the pump .so that is not an issue. i would get one that has the pressure you need and more volume than you need . as they can be used for winches and plows to.i have a 12volt electric pump from northern on my truck i run it on 24volts.it is the highest volume pump they sell for electric. i made ,my own tank as the ones they have arent big enough.i have a twin cylinder set up on my truck.one of the trucks on eastern suplus site in the customers truck section has one on it there are good pics there for you he did it for a hydro winch if i remember right

Attachments

Last edited:

ranchand

Wow that truck on eastern surplus has a crazy amount of hydraulic lines! Now if he is running his power steering off that is it bad for the pump to be running constantly? I would like to see more info on that setup.

tm america

it is a pump it is made to be run. as long as he's not over reving it is will hold up for a long time. .i personally would use that big of a pump as a power steering pump . but thats just me he is waiting fuel powering that big pump for that.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the clutch pumps work fine but I'd rather have a PTO pump myself. IMO it's easier to install a PTO pump and it's a "cleaner" setup. You'll be happy with either one.

ranchand

That is cool but how often do you need to? Plus doesnt, it put a huge strain your batteries?
M16ty, why do u think it would easier and cleaner? I just figured that fabbing/finding a mount would be quuick and painless. And since i dont have the pto yet the cost would about the same. When I can afford the winch setup I wont have to fuss with reworking it.
If i could get my hands on that duel output pto I would do it that way. But for now this seems most cost effective:)

tm america

i use my dump pretty much every week .the draw is half what it would be if i ran it on 12 volts. so no there's not a big load on the batteries. wether you run pto, electric or belt drivin pump is mostly preference and what you have avilible or cheap at the time . pto is probably the most reliable. but if you dontt have a dual pto then you lose the winch.if running electric it is pretty much gonnabe for only one thing at a time. but the belt driven pump had less limits of what you can do with it .they are cheap and easy to installt. there are less things to buy than with a pto set up so less things to go bad to.

ranchand

Thats where my minds at, just want to run it by you folks to make sure I make the best decision:wink: Thanks for all the input, keep it coming. I love this forum!

tm america

ya if i didnt run mine on electric it would have been belt drivin .dual output ptos are way to expensive for me. and losing my winch was not an option for me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M16ty, why do u think it would easier and cleaner? I just figured that fabbing/finding a mount would be quuick and painless. And since i dont have the pto yet the cost would about the same. When I can afford the winch setup I wont have to fuss with reworking it.
If i could get my hands on that duel output pto I would do it that way. But for now this seems most cost effective:)
The engine compartment is kind of tight anyway and you're going to have to fab a pump bracket with either one. I think it's a cleaner install because all the pump and hoses are located closer to the bed and under the truck out of sight. All this is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others would disagree :p. I've installed several dumps on civilian trucks and PTO pumps are pretty much the standard on civilain dumps on anything over a 1-ton truck.

I'm going to run my pump off of a t-case PTO. Jatonka did offer a dual output PTO conversion for the trans PTO for $200. Might want to check with him if you want to go that route.

Electric pumps will work fine also but they do tend to be the slowest of the three.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the clutch pump I'm just giving you my 2cents on the matter.

ranchand

Im trying not to get too excited but I may have come across a plow truck with a five yard cheap:-D So a may be looking harder into pto options again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks