• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hydraulic fluid?

crazyplowboy

has anyone ever tried running hydraulic fluid in their multi? a friend gave me a five gallon bucket of brand new hydraulic fluid that he has had sitting in his guarage for a couple of months. he has no use for it so gave it to me and said to try it out as fuel, but i thought i would ask for a more experienced opinion.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've burned used hyd oil, but dang, burning the new stuff? I have so many things that could use the oil for what it's intended for... Guess I'm just jealous. Just spent 300 dollars on changing the oil in a lift.. Ouch.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M108 leaks oil by the gallon. I'd trade straight diesel for hydraulic oil all day.

Chow717

I just picked up almost 250 gallons of used hydraulic / motor oil over the weekend from 2 different farmers. Both farmers are related so once they found out l was interested in their "waste" it was just a matter of going to pick it up. I have yet to set-up a filtering system but am looking forward to running a mixture through my truck.

Oldgrunt

My Brother Kipman got about 400 gallons of used hydralic oil from work last year, we burned all of it, all the way from Ohio to Haspin and back. I couldn't tell the differance that and diesel fuel. From all of the different types of oils that I have used, hydralic and ATF seems to be the best. I think that the secret is to filter it as much as possible, and get all of the water out.

Oldgrunt

Chinookpilot77

Makes me wonder about alot of things. I am an active duty chinook pilot...and we go though hydraulic fluid by the drum...even our transmission oil (more like gear oil)...we're talking at least 100 gallons a week in my company alone...one drain and flush on a single transmission is 20 gallons of oil...

My gears are turning now...muahahhahaa

Makes me wonder about alot of things. I am an active duty chinook pilot...and we go though hydraulic fluid by the drum...even our transmission oil (more like gear oil)...we're talking at least 100 gallons a week in my company alone...one drain and flush on a single transmission is 20 gallons of oil...

My gears are turning now...muahahhahaa

Dont those Chinooks leak almost as much as you put in them. I was always told, if they arent leaking thats when you should be worried ;)

Chinookpilot77

Actually the old A through C models were notorious for leaks, and had literally miles of hydraulic lines running all through the aircraft. Then Boeing designed a central hub for all of the systems and it cut down on most of the leaks....

All that being said, and having over 1000 hours flying D models...we still leak more than any other helicopter out there. The sides of our aircraft, under the engines, are still generally glossy, and its not from the CARC paint!

wdbtchr

Unless it is the fire resistant type. Wayne
Fire resistant hydraulic fluid is a relative thing. It may be "more" fire restant than regular hydraulic fluid, but it still burns. That's how we dispose of our synthetic aircraft hydraulic fluid, burn it in the boiler.

DMaddox

I am bring this back from ancient history to ask if anyone has anymore experience using hydraulic fluid and fuel. I have a source for about 80 gallons for free to start and many more gallons to come thankyou :driver:

deathrowdave

I have burning used transformer oil for years now great stuff !!!! Acts like it has a hotter BTU that diesel . Burned all the paint off the stack !!! Can not tell any diference in power or starting , etc. Be safe :driver:

DMaddox

I have burning used transformer oil for years now great stuff !!!! Acts like it has a hotter BTU that diesel . Burned all the paint off the stack !!! Can not tell any diference in power or starting , etc. Be safe :driver:
I think that transformer oil is a type of mineral oil not hydraulic fluid.. Older transformers had PCB's in it which is very harmful,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks