• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hydraulic fluid?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
only older transformer oil has PCB's in it. You'll not find any of that stuff around any more, unless the transformer it came from is over 30 years old...even then, the oil was legally supposed to have been changed out with newer oils

abh3

Nuto H32 10W hydraulic oil burns very well. I use a 5 micron sock filter to catch most contaminants. I had some contaminated by water (or pee) from vandals, let it settle and then ran it through the filter. Wish I had more!

markaroe

Some transformers Still have PCB's. It has to be marked as such. When and "IF" a PCB Containing Transformer is disposed of the oil is required to be disposed of properly. I walked past 20 transformers today clearly marked PCB. It is highly unlikely that the oil would be released into the public by any utility the liability is huge. If I were obtaining oil from another source such as a transformer from an old commercial building or Industrial facility I would be more careful. Transformer oil usually is removed from service because it has become contaminated. Frequently with Silica which leaches out of the paint lining. Not sure how abrasive that would be on an engine. The silica is so small that it is nearly impossible to filter out. Distillation might remove the oil from the silica.

Be Careful of your transformer oil source. It should be difficult to get hold of PCB oil.

motomacguyver

Some transformers Still have PCB's. It has to be marked as such. When and "IF" a PCB Containing Transformer is disposed of the oil is required to be disposed of properly. I walked past 20 transformers today clearly marked PCB. It is highly unlikely that the oil would be released into the public by any utility the liability is huge. If I were obtaining oil from another source such as a transformer from an old commercial building or Industrial facility I would be more careful. Transformer oil usually is removed from service because it has become contaminated. Frequently with Silica which leaches out of the paint lining. Not sure how abrasive that would be on an engine. The silica is so small that it is nearly impossible to filter out. Distillation might remove the oil from the silica.

Be Careful of your transformer oil source. It should be difficult to get hold of PCB oil.

Thanks for the informative post.