• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic fuses for brakes

yolner

Most pinion brake kits I see online come with a little 12" rotor and a tiny toyota caliper. Would something like that really stop an M35 going 50mph?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pinion brakes are very effective because they benefit from the axle gearing. The drawback is they get very hot very quickly. Premium racing style brake pads are able to handle significant heating and are not that expensive.

I did not suggest this setup for use as regular braking. It would be only for emergency service and would stop a deuce just as effectively as a dual circuit setup with one of the two circuits failed. Many monster trucks use pinion brakes exclusively. Having an emergency braking system is far better than no brakes at all.

yolner

Yeah that does sound like a good emergency backup. Just so I'm clear... Are pinion brakes supposed to be installed on each axle or just one of the rears?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having an emergency braking system is far better than no brakes at all.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree. Set them up as part of the park brake system perhaps. Then if the primary brakes fail, pulling the park brake lever becomes an option.

I'd like to see it done once at 50mph as proof of concept.

rustystud

Having an emergency braking system is far better than no brakes at all.
I wholeheartedly agree. Set them up as part of the park brake system perhaps. Then if the primary brakes fail, pulling the park brake lever becomes an option.

I'd like to see it done once at 50mph as proof of concept.[/QUOTE]

That's the only thing I would ever use them for.

rustystud

The pinion brakes are very effective because they benefit from the axle gearing. The drawback is they get very hot very quickly.

They are effective but they also must be horrendously strong since that "gearing" advantage goes both ways. I do agree it would help as a emergency brake though.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that does sound like a good emergency backup. Just so I'm clear... Are pinion brakes supposed to be installed on each axle or just one of the rears?
With more pinion brakes you have sharing of the load. A monster truck at a four wheel center here in El Paso has one for the rear axle set and one on the front. All of the original brake drum components have been removed. I have seen that truck make quick stops without issue.

As an emergency only brake system, only one installed on the rears. It may result in giving up after one stop as the pads may become glazed and the rotor warped, all from excessive heat. It would all depend on the particulars of the emergency stop such as speed and truck load.

rustystud

With more pinion brakes you have sharing of the load. A monster truck at a four wheel center here in El Paso has one for the rear axle set and one on the front. All of the original brake drum components have been removed. I have seen that truck make quick stops without issue.

As an emergency only brake system, only one installed on the rears. It may result in giving up after one stop as the pads may become glazed and the rotor warped, all from excessive heat. It would all depend on the particulars of the emergency stop such as speed and truck load.
Of course the whole thing with "Monster trucks" is they are not going 50 mph down the freeway. I have never seen one go over 30 mph in the arena. They usually are just crushing cars and such and maybe jumping over some dirt mounds.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course the whole thing with "Monster trucks" is they are not going 50 mph down the freeway. I have never seen one go over 30 mph in the arena. They usually are just crushing cars and such and maybe jumping over some dirt mounds.
Yeah, but they do stop repeatedly when they have to because they are surrounded by spectators. Again, this would be a system for use in an emergency.

rtadams89

I see you can get a pinion brake kit designed for the 2.5 ton Rockwell axles for about $300. Add to that a hydraulic handbrake lever and stand alone fluid reservoir ($60) and for $360 you have an emergency pinion brake. As has been mentioned, I don't know if it would last more than one high-speed stop, but combined with the stock parking brake, seems that you might have a chance of at least significantly slowing a deuce. So who's up to test it!?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks