• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic guru’s, hmmwv guru’s and generally smart people I need your help with a fro

Dock Rocker

I have set out to plum in a front and rear 10.5k hydraulic winch setup on a Hmmwv. On its face it doesn’t seem very complicated but it never existed in the wild so there are no TM’s in particular for this setup. The issue becomes how do you use one winch and lock the other out while in use.

I have seen some under hood ball valve setups which I don’t like as they would be inaccessible if you bury the nose in the mud. Inevitably I would have the wrong winch engaged.

This is a picture of one of the two manifolds that control the winch.

Pressure will have to leave the PS pump, in my mind go into some sort of bypass control like this

Leave that controller go to winch 1 and out from the winch 1 outlet into the inlet of winch 2 then out from the outlet of winch 1 back into the pressure side of the system to go on to the brakes and the fan then into the return side.

I am a hydraulic dummy so any constructive criticism or lifeline’s would be greatly appreciated.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stayed at Holiday Inn express recently...

All, I can think of is all that extra hose footage and extra potential points of failure at each connection. Where would you mount the bypass?

If in Cab, I would be leery of running a "live" hydraulic hose where failure could make a real mess....

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well your title rules me out!!!

But... try searching “hydraulic selector valve” instead. If you want to go with electrically operated to ease mounting options, add the world “solenoid” to your search.
Watch out for all the cool European sourced valves, as they commonly have BSP (British standard pipe) thread and adapters are a little pricey.

Augi

Nothing is wrong with plumbing the winches in series.

The forward and reverse solenoids already have the bypass ports in series. Adding the second pair won't change anything. The solenoid either directs the flow into the winch or bypasses back to the power steering tank. When no winch is active all of the solenoids are bypassing.

When you activate the winch one solenoid sends the flow through the winch. But the other is still bypassing.

To control the front winch plug the controller into the connector for the front solenoids. To control the rear plug into the connector for the rear. Even if you tried to run both at the same time you'd just have low low pressure and get no power to the second one. No reason to try and remove the solenoids from the loop with extra valves.

Augi

dhaumann69166

Fasse Valves makes switchable solenoids that would work great for something like that. We have them on our hay feeders to switch between different operations (load bales, tilt bed, and grind hay) but use one hydraulic bank on the tractor. Also our Dew Eze bale beds use the same style setup. One hydraulic pump and the remote controls up/down and squeeze and release. Might be worth talking to the people at Fasse Valves or Dew Eze. The people at Dew Eze are familiar with 24v systems and military stuff. We had them put a 24v electric hydraulic system on our deuce and a half with a 11ft Dew Eze bale bed and I know they have done multiple other 2.5 ton, 5 ton and other ex military stuff. They might even be able to get you set up on a remote control system so you can run everything from inside or out.
Fasse.com located Kearney, NE
Deweze.com located in Harper KS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks