• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Head Install Issue

dutchguy

OK, I finally found time to replace the leaky Hydraulic Head. I lined up the red tooth with the pointer in the fuel control rod window. Then tried to get the head off. After a little prying, it came off. Looking closely at the metal stamping on top of the drive gear, I see that it's bent up, obviously from the prying. The HH that was on the truck was a rebuilt, installed by someone else. Marks on the stamping suggest someone tried to hammer it in, without the cutout in the right position. I've read that the damper and IP timing marks don't line up with their pointers when the red tooth lines up, I hope that's true. I bent the stamping back down, rotated the engine to place the cutout in what looks like the only possible installation position. The, I installed the HH with the red tooth on its pointer. Timing mark in the IP timing window is barely visible. Can someone tell me if this looks correct? I'm thinking that the prior head was a couple of teeth out of position.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the mark on the harmonic balancer set on LDT, LDS, or LD?

dutchguy

Actually, none of the marks on the balancer line up with the pointer. They are about the same amount away from the pointer that the IP timing mark is, with the cutout in the position shown. The IP mark is about 1.25 " past the pointer.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your good then!

dutchguy

Thanks. I'm hoping so. I need to replace a couple of lines, one twisted off, the other one's nut was seized up pretty tight, and the flats were rounded from the previous install, I'm guessing. had to cut the lines, and use a socket. Then we'll fire her up (hopefully) and see what happens.

AMGeneral

Hmmm,it sounds like someone installed the hyd head drive in wrong,it drives off the injection pump shaft with a hypoid type gear setup,it is possible someone installed the drive wrong.

Unfortunately,it requires the complete removal of the injection pump to correct this problem.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hmmm,it sounds like someone installed the hyd head drive in wrong,it drives off the injection pump shaft with a hypoid type gear setup,it is possible someone installed the drive wrong.

Unfortunately,it requires the complete removal of the injection pump to correct this problem.

Are you talking about the quill shaft?

dutchguy

That pic shows the correct position. The half moon is all you need to look at to install the HH.
Thanks Gimpy. I read a previous post, I believe from Doghead, that the IP mark in the window would be "to the left" of the pointer, but wasn't sure what that meant. I guess looking from the front of the truck, it would be to the left of the pointer. You guys are the greatest. Maybe my pic will help someone else.
Truck has run OK, but never started real well without some pedal. I wonder if this will improve things at all. Same would be good, worse would not be good!:)

dutchguy

Just a bump here, in the event someone is having problems like this. After replacing the HH, the truck ran fine, but would have a little trouble returning to idle. Fine when motor was cold, but after coming up to heat, she would want to die. My suspicion was the I had tightened the screws on the yoke that keeps the fuel control rod in place (the ones with the safety wire). Well, push came to shove after the July 4 parade, which was a real pain, as she wanted to die every time I let off the throttle. Removed the shutoff cover, sure enough the rod was sticky when pushed to the right. Clipped the wire, backed the screws off 1/4 turn, rod was free, re-wired, re-installed cover, started her up. Just like new. 10 minute job. Should have done it last December!

welldigger

Anybody on this thread know where I can get my HH rebuilt? Would like to
have one for a spare.

Thanks,
Orren
I would just get a spare. They aren't usually rebuild able. Though, there is a thread where someone successfully repaired a sticking HH. Ambac also rebuilt them but they were also the manufacturer.