• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Head leaking need advice!

pittdog

Gently torght them one at a time !... go opposit at direcitions ! ... be carefull ! .. with NO pressure in the system ! OK try that ! PM me ! Love My 72 M35A2 ... Gota ( BABY SIT THEM ) There Ret .. Like me !

G-Force

Ok,
I went on the AMBAC website, this in the link to their manuals:
http://www.ambac.net/E64A353CC6034BE685460A71FD30F2F6.asp
They seem to have expanded their list of manuals since I had gone there last.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to their section titled "Old Serv PN & Cal Spec".
I downloaded the following manuals. Some pertain to the general PSB injection pump and some have stuff specific to the pump installed on the continental LDT/LDS 465 engine.
This is like a review of what I downloaded, listed by the title used on the website list:

psbserviceinstr
This was the first manual I downloaded a while back. This was where i got the info for airmech

psb6a
A parts list for their PSB pumps used on Buda, Minneapolis Moline, Continental TD427 and other oldie but goodie engines. nothing pertaining to LDT engines

psba6
This has parts lists, calibration info and specs for the pumps and I believe the governors used on the LDT 465 engines. A worthwhile download for those who REALLY want to screw around with their injection pumps.

psbtorquevalues
This is another really cool one to download. It has a cross setion of the pump on page 3 which lists the torque values of the fasteners used on the pump. Might look pretty cool making a LARGE print of this for the shop or even just a lot of regular size prints to wallpaper the bedroom with (PLEASE don't let your "significant other" know where you got the idea from. I don't need the aggrevation of harassing emails and PM's).

supplypumppsb
This covers the gear pump that is mounted on the side of the PSB injection pump. What alot of people on here seem to forget is the tank pump is there to keep this pump flooded when the engine is running. This pump boosts the fuel pressure inside the injection pump. without the in tank pump this gear pump has a tendency to cavitate and not supply the correct fuel pressure in the pump head, resulting in loss of performance and wear of the head (clogged filters will do the same)

variations
I downloaded this and it appears to refer to different governor setups for different engines but not the LDT engine.

One of these manuals explains the numbering stamped on the tag on the side of the injection pump. I would STRONGLY suggest that you write down these numbers and then go through the manuals and print out the pages that pertain to your pump before you start tinkering with your adjustments. It is very easy to wind up on the wrong page when viewing on a computer and setting your pump to the wrong settings.

I also didn't find anything on trhe fuel density compensator. there might be a manual on there. I still have to look more but had stuff to do and ran out of time. If anyone finds a manual on there for it please let me know.

Have fun and be safe.......
Mike

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Another IP leak

I didn't want to start another thread, and didn't find the answer I was looking for in any other thread, so I'm going to use this one.

I have finally found the leak that kept our truck from the GA rally. When I rev the engine, there is fuel spraying out of the HH around the "delivery valve screw", indicated in the picture below. When the engine is at idle, there is no leakage.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can it be fixed with a gasket or seal, or do I need to replace the HH?

I hesitate to just take the screw out, as I don't know what I might be doing to the HH.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can take out screw/spring/valve just watch and work. Or just back it out a little and retighten.

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Problem Solved

OK, so I found some answers buried deep in the bowels of TM 9-2910-226-34, and with the answer from Floridianson (thanks) I was able to fix the problem.

I tried to loosen and re-tighten the screw, but it leaked just as bad, or worse. So I switched it with the one in our 2nd truck, that we don't use, and it solved the problem. I did note that you can't change the valve, just the screw.

The good news is, the truck is now back on the road. The bad news is, the Georgia Rally was a week ago. If I had just changed the angle from which I was watching the HH a week ago, I would have seen the fine spray of fuel and spent the 10 minutes it took to fix it and driven it to GA.

There's always next year. :neutral:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have used the fuel on the red ants that popped up under the tent at the rally.

:)

sw

Seth_O

...I tried to loosen and re-tighten the screw, but it leaked just as bad, or worse. So I switched it with the one in our 2nd truck, that we don't use, and it solved the problem. I did note that you can't change the valve, just the screw...
Ranger - I have this exact same problem. When I pulled the delivery screw out I removed the screw and a spring, but I did not see a valve or any other component in there. After reinstalling the spring and screw, the leak was much worse (shooting jets of fuel out at idle :(.)

Did you pull a valve or checkball or anything else out with the screw and spring?

I don't have a 2nd vehicle to pilfer parts from, do the usual suspects carry a replacement? I really don't want to replace the entire HH over this.

mckeeranger

Ranger - I have this exact same problem. When I pulled the delivery screw out I removed the screw and a spring, but I did not see a valve or any other component in there. After reinstalling the spring and screw, the leak was much worse (shooting jets of fuel out at idle :(.)

Did you pull a valve or checkball or anything else out with the screw and spring?

I don't have a 2nd vehicle to pilfer parts from, do the usual suspects carry a replacement? I really don't want to replace the entire HH over this.
The valve is in there, it just doesn't fall out with the spring. As Floridianson said, it is matched to the HH, and you cannot change it. I didn't remove it, just pushed the spring back inside, and put the new "screw" in.

Gimpyrobb told me this is a fairly common problem, and he knows of other people that have had to change the screw because of cracks. He is sending me a replacement for our second truck, and I would assume there are plenty of other spares floating around out there.

You might post a wanted ad in the classifieds, or put in a call to some of the supply companies. OD Iron, Memphis, C&C, etc.

Seth_O

The valve is in there, it just doesn't fall out with the spring. As Floridianson said, it is matched to the HH, and you cannot change it. I didn't remove it, just pushed the spring back inside, and put the new "screw" in.

Gimpyrobb told me this is a fairly common problem, and he knows of other people that have had to change the screw because of cracks. He is sending me a replacement for our second truck, and I would assume there are plenty of other spares floating around out there.

You might post a wanted ad in the classifieds, or put in a call to some of the supply companies. OD Iron, Memphis, C&C, etc.
Cheers mate. I am glad to hear this is a fairly common problem, and it sounds like it's an easy fix. I have to move in a couple of weeks and can't afford for my truck to be out of commission.

One last question: when you removed your screw and inspected it, was it apparent there was something wrong? With mine I don't think I could have told a difference between mine and a brand new one, i.e. no obvious signs of defect.

Crossing my fingers a new one is to be had from one of the normal suppliers. If not I'll troll for a used spare.

Tks again for your help.

Last edited:

mckeeranger

One last question: when you removed your screw and inspected it, was it apparent there was something wrong? With mine I don't think I could have told a difference between mine and a brand new one, i.e. no obvious signs of defect.
No, I couldn't tell by looking at it. In fact, I still wasn't sure until I put the defective screw into the second truck. When I started it, it leaked.

Seth_O

Tks Ranger. When I took mine out and then re-installed it, I went from leaking fuel vapors when warm to to squirting jets of fuel whenever the IP is running :(. Gotta' get this thing fixed asap.

In the pic I have circled the puff of fuel vapor. I took this before I had removed and reinstalled the screw. Seems to me like a lot of fuel on the HH for just that one leak, but I can't imagine having leaks in multiple places all spring up at exactly the same time.

Attachments

mckeeranger

In the pic I have circled the puff of fuel vapor. I took this before I had removed and reinstalled the screw. Seems to me like a lot of fuel on the HH for just that one leak, but I can't imagine having leaks in multiple places all spring up at exactly the same time.
It looks like a lot, for such a small leak, but don't underestimate the fuel pressure in the HH.

Ours did not leak a drop, at idle, but when revved it sprayed a lot of fuel. I used degreaser and a pressure washer on the undercarriage to help find the leak. I drove it one mile down the road and back, and the entire underside of the truck was soaked. It was on the outside, and even coming into the cab through gaps around the floor pan bolts.

It was moving a lot of fuel, under throttle.

Seth_O

It looks like a lot, for such a small leak, but don't underestimate the fuel pressure in the HH.

Ours did not leak a drop, at idle, but when revved it sprayed a lot of fuel. I used degreaser and a pressure washer on the undercarriage to help find the leak. I drove it one mile down the road and back, and the entire underside of the truck was soaked. It was on the outside, and even coming into the cab through gaps around the floor pan bolts.

It was moving a lot of fuel, under throttle.
A'ight - thats good to hear. I was concerned I was losing fuel from somewhere else as well and was going to need to replace/rebuild the HH. I will try the screw and see where that gets me. Presuming I can find one.

roscoe

Curious to how this worked out and if and where you found a new screw. I have a similar problem, however, mine started out with a leak around an injector tube. Got a new one and that stopped, but then noticed fuel coming from around the bottom of the HD - new seals and the leak is better, but still leaks slightly and can't get truck to fire. It seems to be coming from the recessed allen fitting directly in the front center, at least partly. I can't see anything wet around the screw, but that seems to be what leaks for most people. Any ideas?

Rmtaunton

Mine was doing the same thing till two minutes ago. I just pulled it off, sanded a bit reinstalled , all is great now.

Thank you SS!

Patruck

My bolt split and shot out. I think previous owner tried to stop a small leak by tightening the fuel delivery srew and cracked it. After putting 300 miles on it she sputtered and cut off. I opened the hood noticed an alarming amount of fuel everywhere. Touched the FD screw and half of it fell off. Took a bit to get the other half out. Replaced screw with one that another Deucer brought me and it got me home still leaking exuberant amounts 8f fuel but ran long enough to get from NJ to GA. Now home I need to fix this problem.
Many i have talked with suggest that the HH will crack at that screw and cause a leak like mine.
So insight on this subject would be great.
Replace HH? Is so, some direction to supplier would be nice.
Pump runs fine no sticking just leaking alot.
Also the screw that is being used now is off a original HH so it is OLD.
Screenshot_2015-03-04-16-14-27.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks