• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Head Plunger Bore Screw Leak

randygk

Our '67 Kaiser M35A2 with the Hercules runs good but is leaking fuel at the center screw between the injector lines on top of the hydraulic head. I see they call it a Plunger Bore Screw. I pulled the screw and did not see any seal. Is there supposed to be a seal here? I looked at several TM's and did not see any seal listed.
Thanks

welldigger

No seal is supposed to be there. It's a machined fit individual to that screw and that head.

I have heard of people putting an o ring or copper crush washer under it to stop the leaking. I don't know how effective that would be.

randygk

Picture of the Plunger Bore Screw

Plunger Bore Screw.jpg

I can give you a picture of the screw but I will not recreate the leak. Evidently removing the screw and re-installing it stopped the leak. It wasn't very tight (but wouldn't call it lose) when I removed it, so maybe cleaning it and re-tightening it was all that was needed. Will have to drive under load, but seems ok at idle.

mechanix

Mine did the same thing. Loosened and tightened it and it has been fine since. Mine started after I turned up the fuel a little bit. It was fine before.

TsgtB

This is an old post, but my center plunger screw must be torqued down to over 100ft lbs...
I sprayed it with PB and hope it comes loose next try....

TsgtB

why do you want to remove it?
I'm having "no fuel issues"... had no fuel at the filters, wouldnt even dribble with the primary off (in tank pump was humming but not pumping). So i put the parker pump in, had good spray on primary drain and no bubbles at the secondaries (let it run good). But no start, cracked the injector lines and all is dry.
So i mentally prepped for pulling HH, (have one off donor engine). This is a depot rebuild with about 50 miles on it.
I wanted to pull the center HH plug and put a dowel in it to see if it moves or if its stuck.
NOW someone said it could be the boost pump... so, i'm at a loss.
Havent totally torn into it yet, searching for all the answers i can get.

welldigger

I'm having "no fuel issues"... had no fuel at the filters, wouldnt even dribble with the primary off (in tank pump was humming but not pumping). So i put the parker pump in, had good spray on primary drain and no bubbles at the secondaries (let it run good). But no start, cracked the injector lines and all is dry.
So i mentally prepped for pulling HH, (have one off donor engine). This is a depot rebuild with about 50 miles on it.
I wanted to pull the center HH plug and put a dowel in it to see if it moves or if its stuck.
NOW someone said it could be the boost pump... so, i'm at a loss.
Havent totally torn into it yet, searching for all the answers i can get.
Just go ahead and pull the hh. It's not that big of a deal. Chances are the button came off. Which is an irritating and common problem.

It's comparatively rare for a booster pump to go bad.

TsgtB

Thanks guys, not sure if i've been cross posting (maybe a little) for the same problem, but for different possible fixes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks