• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Pump...

rmgill

So, on the list of things to do to the deuce, I'm thinking a hydraulic pump attached to my rear facing output for the double PTO. What kind of pump do I need to eventually get a dump rig installed?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mabye you could use a 5 ton multifuel power steering pump? Anybody ever tried that?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mabye you could use a 5 ton multifuel power steering pump? Anybody ever tried that?
Isn't that what gringeltaube is using for the hydraulic pump on his deuce dump conversion?

rmgill

Well, I've got the rear facing PTO shaft on the dual output PTO. Seems like a shame not to take advantage of it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
clinto said:
Isn't that what gringeltaube is using for the hydraulic pump on his deuce dump conversion?
Nope! I used a small, external gear type pump, capable of well over 2500 psi.
PS-pumps usually are vane type and don't go much over 1500 psi.

Gerhard

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nope! I used a small, external gear type pump, capable of well over 2500 psi.
PS-pumps usually are vane type and don't go much over 1500 psi.

Gerhard
Ah! My bad, sorry. :oops:

spicergear

Any pump will just about do but a small pump or even PS pump will have lower volume and take a while to stand the dump box up. The pump I have on my crane is rating a little over 2000PSI and 25-28GPH and the crane moves with good speed with that. The mast raises with speed and the boom telescopes with speed as well, I use those two references as they are pretty decent sized rams like the dump will have. I'm using an older Commercial brand pump somewhat similiar to what Cranetruck has on his. A nice healthy gear pump will do you fine. Again, any pump will pretty much do but higher volume will mean faster lift rate. Oh, something along the lines of a 7/8"- 1-1/8" keyed shaft will make PTO drive parts easy to find/build. Tractor Supply or the like will have a good supply of U-joints, couplers, sprockets, etc.

TheBuggyman

I used a generic gear type pump off of my rear PTO for my dump and it works great! I do not know the displacement (usually cubic inches/revolution). Verify the rotation prior to ordering the pump or just order a LH or RH rotation and assemble the pump as needed. Make sure you use a valve with a built in relief valve or you will have to add an external relief as a gear pump is a positive displacement pump and will pump until something breaks or explodes.

BTW- can you upload pics directly to this site or do you have to host them elsewhere and link them? I have some rough terrain/severely overloaded/converted dump bed deuce pics to share.

devilman96

Pics can be added via the "post reply" button to the lower left... Size must be 640 X480... there is a tutorial in the site help forum and I think Mike posted a tool for easy resizing in the tips and tricks forum.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to a scrap yard and get the pto driven pump off an older dump truck. Some of them have the valving included with the pump.Easier not to reinvent the wheel, so to say!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks