• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Repair Tool Trailer (HSTRU)

2deuce

I've looked at the TM and see I'm missing quite a bit in the one I have. Has anyone converted theirs to something else, and want to sell parts? or have extras? Has anybody used theirs for it's intended purpose?

Thanks

2deuce

I downloaded a parts manual from a post back in 2014. My trailer is from 1978. The manual I'm looking at seems to have many of the tools in my trailer. I know I'm missing parts, but I'm trying to figure out how to use what I have. Everything seems to be Parker-Hannifin built. Some new, some old. If somebody has some of the tools specific to the trailer they aren't going to use, I'm interested. It would really be nice to watch a video where the trailer is being used, making lines and hoses.

2deuce

I'm not expecting to find any parts, but if they are available, I would be interested, but that is secondary to how the unit operates. What good are the parts if you don't know how to use them? My son wants me to scrap the hydraulic stuff, and make it into a regular tool trailer. He thinks we will get more use from it that way. I'll resist that for a while because this thing is interesting. However many hoses I ever make is going to be pretty limited if I can use it. That is my sons argument.

Guyfang

Staff member
Folks, do not forget there is an OLD and NEW HSTRU. Two different animals. The TM located in the 2014 thread is the old style. The TM in that thread has been updated, TM 9-4940-468-23P, but is coded C, so it can not be put in out TM forum. The new HSTRU TM number is TM 9-4910-786-13&P, dated 08-01-2011. So now I ask, what HYSTRU do you have?

2deuce

I believe mine is the old one. It's from 1978. It is on a M116a1 trailer, and it looks like the one in that thread from 2014, but I have only seen a few pictures to compare old, and new. Thanks

2deuce

What NSN is on your HSTRU
On the paper stickers it has on it says it's 4910010365784. The metal plates don't have that number stamped and everything else is sun bleached totally. I'm not super confident it has the NSN# it came with. Hopefully it's right. The date on the plate has 12/78 etched by hand.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
National Stock Number 4910-01-036-5784

National Stock Number (NSN) 4910-01-036-5784, or NIIN 010365784, (tool outfit,hydraulic) was assigned March 1, 1977 in the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS). This NSN does not replace any other NSNs.
There are no manufacturer part numbers associated to this NSN. ISO Group has several sources of supply for this NSN.
This part number has not been procured by the US Government in over 5 years.

2deuce

National Stock Number 4910-01-036-5784

National Stock Number (NSN) 4910-01-036-5784, or NIIN 010365784, (tool outfit,hydraulic) was assigned March 1, 1977 in the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS). This NSN does not replace any other NSNs.
There are no manufacturer part numbers associated to this NSN. ISO Group has several sources of supply for this NSN.
This part number has not been procured by the US Government in over 5 years.
By the looks of mine, and the many layers of paint, when they say over 5 years, I would say way over 5 years. That said there are lots of new supplies, and quite a few new pipe bending tools. I'm trying to figure how they are used. Some of these things fit together one way or another. I need some training.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should help with visually differentiating the older and newer M116-based version -

SS 1.jpg

And this is one of the even newer versions -

New style 2.jpg

Mine is the M116A3 in the pictures. It was stripped of almost all hydraulic equipment when I got it off Fort Hood, so I only have pictures to go by on what should have been inside.
I think the box is a bit bigger than the older A1 style, but I've never seen one of those in person.

Cheers

2deuce

While the configuration of the trailers, and setup are different, probably the parts used are similar. I would really like to see one in action being used. There are parts of the system that I know I'm missing, but I know I can do without. There is a solvent tray, tank and pump I don't have, but don't need. There is a larger transfer pump I think was used to filter hydraulic oil for the equipment they were working on. That probably would have more utility in a war zone than on a base. What I would like to see are hoses, and lines being built in a video, or written instruction on what is needed, and how it's done.
A friend came over and took a look at the unit, and asked why don't you just have the hoses you need built by a shop? My son says the same thing, but how much fun is that?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would seem to me based on equipment posted in the reference pics that a hydraulic crimp to make hoses is part of the system and drawers to keep the fittings.

2deuce

This should help with visually differentiating the older and newer M116-based version -

View attachment 920387

And this is one of the even newer versions -

View attachment 920388

Mine is the M116A3 in the pictures. It was stripped of almost all hydraulic equipment when I got it off Fort Hood, so I only have pictures to go by on what should have been inside.
I think the box is a bit bigger than the older A1 style, but I've never seen one of those in person.

Cheers
Looking at the picture of the trailer....that system looks modern, and really nice. I bet you're happy with that trailer! Mine looks like an antique by comparison.
On my way home with it, a guy at the gas station thought mine was an old generator trailer. I think mine was used, but nothing was in order. There was a welding hood, and labeling for welding rod. So it was probably had a welder in it at some point. They would do what they needed, and toss everything loose that was used back in the trailer. None of the tool boxes that stored small parts had anything in them that remotely corresponded with their labels.

2deuce

It would seem to me based on equipment posted in the reference pics that a hydraulic crimp to make hoses is part of the system and drawers to keep the fittings.
I saw those drawers in the new models, very nice. My old model has tool boxes in cubbies...not very handy. The main tools don't look like mine either. I'm surprised a nice unit like that would be surplus.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks