• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hydro boost leaking M1008

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey gang,

i've read thru a number of posts and am pretty sure my problem. I'm loosing power steering fluid between two parts of the hydro boost of my M1008. It's the joint right behind the power steering hoses. I've checked the bolts and they are tight. according to the TM, there is an internal gasket that looks like mr. peanut (cover seal #19 per TM 9-2320-289-34 page 726). Looks like it's part of Kit #2770723. I've attached a pic of the hydro. The two parts of the housing seem like a metal to metal joint.

Am i on the right track? if so, is it best to just change the gasket or get another hydro boost?

Attachments

Last edited:

Cucvnut

Well rebuilding is cheaper. I have to do the same. The rebuild kit costs about 20 dollars vs 168 for the new one and core cost.

Matt65

Mine has been leaking for 2 years, but slows down conciderably in the winter -perhaps as fluid viscosity changes. I generally know the level is getting low when I begin to feel pulsation through the brake pedal when it is applied while turning.

mr.travo

1. I am sure I have the right tools, but what would be needed to rebuild it?
2. How long can I expect for it to take?
3. While doing it, what else would be good to tackle? Change the P/S lines and flush system?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I struggled with finding the gasket kit. Mine was leaking pretty bad. I went ahead and swapped it with a rebuild. about $200.00 bucks later and i'm off and running again. The swap took about 3 beers to complete.

mr.travo

Also- if you don't want to rebuild it just go pick up one from Autozone. They work great too (as per my experience). It's a simple unbolt/rebolt application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks