• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydro Boost swap/install procedure help

Apoc Bane

I bought a replacement hydrobooster as mine was leaking.

The new one doesn't have a part that the old one does.

Do I need to some how remove the part from the old one and install it on the new one? If so it seems like a lot of work to take out the bolts to seperate the two parts of the hydro booster.

The old one has what appears to be a rod with a spring and a disk at the top.

I uploaded pictures to my gallery (only ones there)

thank you. I did do a search for hydro boost. hydra, hydro and reviewed the threads that appeared.

Apoc Bane

Nevermind figured it out. I have to swap it.

If anyone else encounters the same question. The answer is here.
hydraboost installation conversion

In short yes.

"The spring and rod are an important part in the system; the spring puts tension on the booster piston so it releases the pressure on the rod and doesn’t stay engaged to the master and drag the brakes when you let off the brakes. The disc on the inner end keeps the rod centered in the booster rear cup and the retainer of course keeps the spring in but also centers the rod to line up with the master cylinder indent. If the rod were to drop out on either end it could cause your brakes to apply and not release in a panic stop of just plain fail."

ragedracer

Sure wish I could. I don't know anything about the hydraboost. Is the foam coming from a connection, or literally out of the side of it, like a crack?

Apoc Bane

Thanks.

I took apart the old one removed the spring and rod, then took apart the new one and installed the spring in rod.

I tightened all the bolts as tight as I could without a torque wrench.
When the truck is off and I press the brake, the unit doesn't seem to leak.

I can turn on the truck press the brake and maybe a drop might come on.

I then give it gas without pressing the gas and I hear what i think to be the power steering pump make some groans.

I get out look at the unit and it's making a foamy liquid come out of the hydrobooster along the line of center line.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I COULD be incorrect, but foaming along the CENTER LINE? I see three connections, two of which are steel lines indicating they are under pressure. The third one has a flexible rubber hose connection to the steel line, so I'm ASSUMING (I know, I know) return line.

IF you are getting foam ALONG the center line and it's NOT coming from any of those three connectors, chances are you either misassembled it (doubtful, but you never know - been there, done that) OR the metal could be fatigued and leaking. One would HOPE that even if this unit is a rebuilt one they would at least pressure test the case. Then again, maybe not.

Hope that gives you places to look. Let us know.

nhdiesel

O.K., I have to ask...it sounds like you took the Hydroboost apart? Why? The rod and spring just pull out the back side. You shouldn't be pulling the Hydroboost unit apart, as you'll need a new gasket to seal it back up. It almost sounds like you DID pull it apart, and that gasket is leaking.

Jim

blitzengine

Please help me.

My hydrobooster is making brake fluid foam come out the side of it when the gas is applied...

please.
Is it leaking from the hydrobooster itself or where the hose fittings that screw into the hydrobooster? The reason why I am asking this is because, when you remove and install the hoses you must always install new orings on the end of the hose fittings if not they will leak. Hope this helps.
:beer:

Last edited:

Apoc Bane

O.K., I have to ask...it sounds like you took the Hydroboost apart? Why? The rod and spring just pull out the back side. You shouldn't be pulling the Hydroboost unit apart, as you'll need a new gasket to seal it back up. It almost sounds like you DID pull it apart, and that gasket is leaking.

Jim
I tried to remove the rod spring and 8 armed cup without taking apartt the hydrobooster. I couldn't remove the 8 armed disk/cup it seemed, without getting to the back side of it. I looked at the tech manuals, and my stupid haynes manual and there isn't a mention of it, or perhaps I couldn't find the right terminology in the tech manuals.

Which was the reason I first started the thread, to find out wither it needed to be taken apart or not.

Why would the gasket go bad after opening it up?

It doesn't seem to be leaking out of the 3 steel lines that screw into the top. I didn't know about replacing the orings on them, but I will do that now.

It seems like I will need to take apart the unit again, to replace the seal inside the hydrobooster.

It leaks from the centerline that joins the two parts of the hydrobooster, where the 5 screws or 6 join together to keep it together.

Apoc Bane

Does anyone have a part number on the seal that goes inside of the hydrobooster?

Also could someone perhaps clear up how only when I press the gas pedal the problem arises. Is it some how linked to the power steering pump?

Sorry for being an automotive inept.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks