• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydro Fluid

choll

I have a chance to get about 3000 gallons of hydro fluid for free 50% new 50% drained from a sealed system back into the drums. Can I use this as a 50-50 mixture in my 1009. I know WMO can be but not sure on the hydro fluidChuck

tstone

As the other guys said, confirm the specifications of the oil, you definately don't want anything that is fire retardant. The compression of a CUCV is much less than that of a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck and will not completely combust a 50:50 ratio, especialy in the winter. I add hydraulic oil to my CUCV's but at the rate of 10:1 or 10:2 depending on the season, you may be able to go more with the oil but it will depend on the wear (coompression) on yhe engine and if you use a block heater in cold weather. You should always filter any additive to your fuel.

wayne pick

I agree, I would also have it tested for contaminants. Used hyd oil will contain components of the system it was used in, steel, brass, and copper from pumps and motors. Rubber, nylon and composits from hoses and cylinder packing. Usually due to overheating, cavitation, and running the system low on oil. Although microscopic, these contaminants, like those found in used transmisson oil can damage an injector pump. I would do a visual test before commiting to an oil analysis. If it's cloudy or smells burnt, I would not take a chance with it.

chevyCUCV

As the other guys said, confirm the specifications of the oil, you definately don't want anything that is fire retardant. The compression of a CUCV is much less than that of a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck and will not completely combust a 50:50 ratio, especialy in the winter. I add hydraulic oil to my CUCV's but at the rate of 10:1 or 10:2 depending on the season, you may be able to go more with the oil but it will depend on the wear (coompression) on yhe engine and if you use a block heater in cold weather. You should always filter any additive to your fuel.
22:1 is not high enought for alt fuels? I disagree.

Look up the msds of the fluid and ensure it is flammable/burnable. Then i would filter it all just like WMO before using.
Most things i have read about hydro fluid say it is thin and burns very well

Edit to add, the 6.2 is not a multifuel, it takes work and some persuasion to mess with alternative fuels. If you are not willing/prepared to replace your ip+ injectors i would stay away

Last edited:

Keith_J

Most hydraulic oils contain anti-wear agents which will cause ash deposits. Compression ratio isn't an issue, heavier oils are usually easier to ignite, having a higher cetane index. The only reason an M35A2 has such a high compression ratio is to allow use of motor gasoline as a fuel, anti-knock index (termed octane) is a measure of resistance to compression ignition. So to use gasoline, these engines have overly high compression ratios so the compression temperature is above the auto-ignition point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks