• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydroboost help

Skrilex

Banned
New to these systems and I’m wanting to find a way to have hydraulic pressure from the system without messing up the hydroboost. My pump is a higher flow type ZF although I don’t have solid numbers. I want to explore the hydraulic fan idea.
does the system work on constant pressure or does it somehow demand pressure only when needed and bypass? Is the steering circuit isolates and could that be tapped for pressure to feed a fan? Or could the pump output be tapped?

someoldmoose

Plumbing is plumbing. Put a tee somewhere and make lines or hoses to go where you need it. I am not familiar with the specific system you want to explore but with the right parts, enough money, and enough time anything can be done.

Skrilex

Banned
If you put a restriction in the wrong place you’ll end up driving with the brakes on WISE GUYS.

Based on what the alpha redesign required it seems that about 9k cf/m is the goal flow rate minimum. This seems to consume about 3gal per minute of fluid which is about half my pump output so I think I’m close on that. I don’t know what rpm I need to get that flow however. I bought my pump used so it’s a bit of a guess on that end. Could always run a dedicated belt driven pump or a double stacked pump like busses but I’m trying to avoid that.

Based on on what I’ve read about fan/radiator performance the fact that our fans are 20” away from the cooling stack is just wrong till Sunday and it’s really surprising they ended up building them this way.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
New to these systems and I’m wanting to find a way to have hydraulic pressure from the system without messing up the hydroboost. My pump is a higher flow type ZF although I don’t have solid numbers. I want to explore the hydraulic fan idea.
does the system work on constant pressure or does it somehow demand pressure only when needed and bypass? Is the steering circuit isolates and could that be tapped for pressure to feed a fan? Or could the pump output be tapped?
Easiest way would be to add a 24v haldex pump and use a small tank and large cooler so it is its own system. So you don't run into a snafu of problems if one system fails like steering and then no fan and you are on the side of the road overheated. Surplus pump. Cooler with fan and tank should be under 350 or so.

Or see how Ford runs their hydraulic fan systems

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
Ya ford Jeep Lexus and others all used hydraulic fan setups on their cars but they are all gassers and maybe not up to the task however I’m still tempted to try one anyway and see. My gut tells me that a pusher bus setup is sized several times more than what my little non tow hmmwv will ever require. So I’m hesitant to just apply those part plus they seem hard to find and maybe expensive.

Skrilex

Banned
Well since you refuse to use TM's it is a waste of time to link a flow chart.
Okay well you can keep your flow chart if you’re still butt hurt about my lack of literacy but I fail to follow your logic on several levels in this case. I guess you want me to spend a few hours looking for the hydraulic fan operation section in the TM? Sorry to bother you?

Attachments

Action

If you put a restriction in the wrong place you’ll end up driving with the brakes on WISE GUYS.

Based on what the alpha redesign required it seems that about 9k cf/m is the goal flow rate minimum. This seems to consume about 3gal per minute of fluid which is about half my pump output so I think I’m close on that. I don’t know what rpm I need to get that flow however. I bought my pump used so it’s a bit of a guess on that end. Could always run a dedicated belt driven pump or a double stacked pump like busses but I’m trying to avoid that.

Based on on what I’ve read about fan/radiator performance the fact that our fans are 20” away from the cooling stack is just wrong till Sunday and it’s really surprising they ended up building them this way.
The H1 Alpha fan is not hydraulic powered.
There is a fan shroud causing the fan to pull air through the stack. The fan could be 20 feet away as long as it has a tube to keep outside air from pulling in.

Skrilex

Banned
The H1 Alpha fan is not hydraulic powered.
There is a fan shroud causing the fan to pull air through the stack. The fan could be 20 feet away as long as it has a tube to keep outside air from pulling in.
Turns out this isn’t true, although it’s not logical. Fans must be close to the radiator, despite being shrouded. 1” seems to be the ideal and more than 2” performance suffers a lot.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is not the case. The brakes are not applied until you push the pedal. This is because the valve is in bypass letting the fluid return to the pump while driving. When you push the pedal the piston valve moves forward allowing fluid pressure to push the rod that mates with the back of the master cylinder.
Plumb it where you want.

Skrilex

Banned
But if the bypass then experiences a flow restriction like my fan or a filter or cooler it creates back pressure which applies brakes. I learned this from reading about GM trucks where people put in a cooler on the return line from the brake booster. When they switched to the steering return their problem ceased. Im just trying to understand as much as possible because fluid power can get a little mystical.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you plumb it into the supply line? This would eliminate the risk of backpressure in your booster. From what I can gather from your previous post, the pump you will be using can move more fluid than the GM pump. So you may just be able to tee into the supply line. You may need to install orifices in different lines to regulate flow one way or the other. Not tryin to argue with you but I have installed a few PS coolers on my CUCV's over the years because the fluid would boil out of the pump when off road. Riding the brakes down hill and traveling at slow speeds in 100deg weather would over heat the fluid. They are all on the return line from the booster. I have never experienced a problem.
But like they say on TV "your results may vary"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks