• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HydroBoost!

Which Came first? The Chicken or The Egg?

• Plumb Hydro First.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plumb Gearbox First.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trooperrob85

Going to convert my bobber to hydroboost soon. I have a Waterloo power Steering setup. So if your familiar with the plumbing it has a gear pump off the IP. So I see a lot of systems plumb the pressure side through the hydro Boost first, then through the gearbox. Does it matter which gets plumbed first?

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Here's my hydroboost install page:
https://www.hanksdeuce.com/hydroboost_install.htm

The high pressure line from your power steering pump goes into the hydroboost unit. Then high pressure comes out and goes to the steering rack. Then you have (2) low pressure lines that tee back to the reservoir. Lastly, you have a suction line from the reservoir to the pump. Based on this routing, it looks as if the brakes are priority, then the steering gear box.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As HanksDeuce pointed out, with hydroboost the brakes get high pressure first, giving them priority. However, what you shared a picture of is one of the Bosch Hydromax units. They are similar to the hydroboost units but they are bigger and were used on medium duty trucks instead of pickup trucks. They also used an electric motor as a backup in case the engine stops running, where as the hydroboost has a hydraulic pressure accumulator vessel.

On the two donor trucks I have dealt with, both mid 90's Ford F700s with 6bt engines and Hydromax brakes, they actually had separate power steering pumps for the brakes. The gear driven pump drove only the steering gear, and a separate belt driven pump drove the Hydromax system. I'm not sure how much of a performance impact you will see from using a single pump to supply both systems, but I am guessing the extra hassle of having two power steering systems was done for a reason.

7bdiver

Well, crap. I was going to do my power steering project first, then the hydromax. I don't really think you would have a problem routing to the steering first, especially if you have the backup motor on there just in case. I was thinking the other day about having both on a shared pump though. You sure don't want to lose steering and brakes at the same time due to a rupture. The backup pump will probably give you a couple seconds before it runs out of fluid, but yeah...

I will have to consider this

Trooperrob85

Well, crap. I was going to do my power steering project first, then the hydromax. I don't really think you would have a problem routing to the steering first, especially if you have the backup motor on there just in case. I was thinking the other day about having both on a shared pump though. You sure don't want to lose steering and brakes at the same time due to a rupture. The backup pump will probably give you a couple seconds before it runs out of fluid, but yeah...

I will have to consider this
The Bosch Hydro max manual I found says to route it through the steering gear first.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks