• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydroloc etc.. Whats usually the first thing that gets bent / broken

sandmanxx

General question on hydrolock and attempting to start a mep (for example)

** not knowing u may have hydrolock and attempting to start a mep a few times - then
realizing what may be going on... Is there a usual first thing to take a hit?? Then a 2nd item??
Like the weakest link ... Then next ??

Just wondering / curious.

Thanks

Bmxenbrett

Well its a diesel so in some way stronger than a gas motor. I woukd say rods but im sure you can damage a piston also. Did you lock one up?

sandmanxx

Maybe so.. But also have just been wondering about it in relation to the mep's and the rain flapper cover / etc..

A new 802 to me i cranked it over several times then stopped. One day later cranked it once then realized what may
be in upper cylinders.. Took injectors out / valve cover off / exhaust off / and got most water out... So yes the
motor would crank over. Flushed oil out..

After replacing a electric fuel pump / cleaning fuel lines / taking metering pumps out and short time in atf / i
came to discover the fuel rack isn't moving at all when i manually move the sol. Lever. ...

Was wondering if something in that area can get bent / broken by hydrolock??

jamawieb

Are you sure its the fuel rack? From your description, it may have sit for a while and the plunger inside the injector pumps are frozen, which in turn will not let the fuel rail move. Try taking the top of the injector pumps apart while they are in the generator and soak everything in carburetor cleaner. Usually this will free up the plungers to start moving.

sandmanxx

I had a pump out and was looking into the hole at the rack fork. Manually moving the lever did nothing.. I then took off the front cover of
my LPW4 which is on test stand and runs.. Manually moving the sol lever moved the fuel fork back and forth - I then smiled and now know
how they should move !!

LIGHT BULB ON... U MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING LOL... I DO BELIEVE ONE PUMP WAS IN.. HMMMM - I THINK.. I CAN DOUBLE CHECK

sandmanxx

are you sure its the fuel rack? From your description, it may have sit for a while and the plunger inside the injector pumps are frozen, which in turn will not let the fuel rail move. Try taking the top of the injector pumps apart while they are in the generator and soak everything in carburetor cleaner. Usually this will free up the plungers to start moving.
how about taking one off at a time and do them that way / maybe a lot easier.

Exactly whats involve in taking top part off... A few nuts and a retaining ring / cover and thats it

Triple Jim

The guys I've knows who have had it happen to the point of damage found bent connecting rods. One symptom is obviously low compression.

rustystud

With most diesel engines that experience "Hydro-Lock" the rods are usually the first to go. If you stop and think about it, your trying to push a solid into a tiny space. The crank is very strong and with all that leverage it is forcing that rod and piston into a space already occupied. The piston is basically a solid piece of aluminum (not really but for this analogy it is) so that just leaves the poor rod. Of course the head gasket can blow as can the whole head ! I've seen whole heads ripped off engines that had "Hydro-Locked" . Some of the newer diesel engines have extremely strong rods ( high revving diesels) and the weakest link then becomes the gaskets and head bolts and injectors. But in the case of our little MEPs the rods will go first.

Last edited:

sandmanxx

Are you sure its the fuel rack? From your description, it may have sit for a while and the plunger inside the injector pumps are frozen, which in turn will not let the fuel rail move. Try taking the top of the injector pumps apart while they are in the generator and soak everything in carburetor cleaner. Usually this will free up the plungers to start moving.
Now I know why you may have stated while pumps in gen. I had one pump still out and not many options on holding pump while trying to get top threaded fuel port off.
Letting bead blaster soak on threads and bolting back in hold down fork. Also started soaking threads on other on still in gen. Will post whenever I get this done with results.

PS: Guess you all must be sure carb cleaner won't do damage to plunger ?? (rubber?)

sandmanxx

side note: I know a pin spinner wrench would be sweet right now..

One reason for waiting to make a small CNC plasma table so I can make custom fine tuned tools... A long side giant wind spinners with sealed bearings and gears :clinto:

sandmanxx

I confess I wanted to open up a metering pump just because. Now I know what the so called plunger is
I hope/think. It's nice to know what one is "attempting" to clean up / unstick etc.

Anyway - much cleaner now. Only problem is getting it back together. Anyone with some helpful info.

insert: Wanted to open one up regardless.

20170312_165736_resized.jpg20170312_165812_resized.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks