• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolocked, big repair ahead.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......soooooo, everything in place and motor started. But..... the. Couple.of splices ahead of me as @Retiredwarhorses mentioned are throwing me off. The wire harness does not have the same numbers as my truck body harness. Does anyone knows where to splice or the tricks to it? If i turn the switxh off the engine does not cut off so i have to disconnect the pump and the gauges downt work. A little help here please 🙏

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a small harness under the floor near the STE (diag) port (3 wires) the #36 is the oil pressure gauge and must be extended to the oil pressure sending unit on the rear of the left valve cover, #33 is the temp wire and must be extended to the temp sending unit near the front of the left head (under the alt), #58 is ground and should be extended to the engine block.
No idea why it will not shut off, do all the acc (heater blower, WW motor) turn off??
EDIT, I would be disconnecting the batteries (not while running) until I got this figured out.
ARE you positive you have the wires to the regulator connected correctly?

Last edited:

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a small harness under the floor near the STE (diag) port (3 wires) the #36 is the oil pressure gauge and must be extended to the oil pressure sending unit on the rear of the left valve cover, #33 is the temp wire and must be extended to the temp sending unit near the front of the left head (under the alt), #58 is ground and should be extended to the engine block.
No idea why it will not shut off, do all the acc (heater blower, WW motor) turn off??
EDIT, I would be disconnecting the batteries (not while running) until I got this figured out.
ARE you positive you have the wires to the regulator connected correctly?
Yes everything else shuts off. Not sure what could be as everything was working with the previous engine. The only thing that i am missing is the Fan cut off. The leads are connected but there should be a piece that actions the switch and is not there. (can't find it either) Not sure if there is something to do with this.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you have the wires connected to the IP correctly? #54 goes to the fuel solenoid
Yes. When i disconnect 54 it turns off. There is a 54C i believe (male connector) that i have not been able to find in the TM's and was not in my previous engine. Was not even in the wiring harness i was given. There is also the positioning sensor by the main pulley (black and white wires with black connector) do i have to extend/connect that one also)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. When i disconnect 54 it turns off. There is a 54C i believe (male connector) that i have not been able to find in the TM's and was not in my previous engine. Was not even in the wiring harness i was given. There is also the positioning sensor by the main pulley (black and white wires with black connector) do i have to extend/connect that one also)
No that is the crank sensor, only used if you have a 4L80 transmission
#54 is "fuel cutoff" A goes to the IP, B goes to the PCB maybe C was for a fuel pump?
Here is a PDF of what the wire numbers represent, handy to have.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe when the sun gets over to CA RWH will chime in, he has done these conversions before, I am just now doing my first.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No that is the crank sensor, only used if you have a 4L80 transmission
#54 is "fuel cutoff" A goes to the IP, B goes to the PCB maybe C was for a fuel pump?
Here is a PDF of what the wire numbers represent, handy to have.
I do have the 4L80 transmission.
My wiring harness has 54A and 569B for the injection pump then a male connector 54C right next to those.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have to find someone that has done that conversion with the 4L, I skipped ahead to the 6L transmission.
I thought all 6.5L with the 4L80 used the crank sensor so I would think the harnesses would be compatible but again I do not know,
569 is the cold advance.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
54c is a dead end. It gets one of those diodes plugged into it, like by the horn and trans on newer trucks.
.)View attachment 865045
Makes sense, canceling out the reverse EMF caused when the magnetic field collapses as the solenoid is shut off, same issue with the horn as the contacts vibrate in the horn, we should all have or install these diodes to protect the PCB, not sure when they figured this out, maybe the A2? certainly not any of the A0s I have.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, i need the fan cutoff link and clip as the previous one i had on the NA engine connects differently, if anyone have an extra that might want to sell, i will buy it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, i need the fan cutoff link and clip as the previous one i had on the NA engine connects differently, if anyone have an extra that might want to sell, i will buy it.
Not sure what you mean, the harness has a 4 conductor square connector yes?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what you mean, the harness has a 4 conductor square connector yes?
Yes but i am talking about the stainless steel small rod or piece of metal (imagine a hanger) that goes from the fuel Injection pump to the fan cutoff switch. In the NA goes from the IP to the back of the engine mounted on a bracket to the head on the drivers side. On the turbo engine is a very small stainless steel rod mounted to the bracket in the pump.

Parts 6 and 7

Attachments

Last edited:

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, i noticed the fluid in the power steering reservoir was red and exactly the same as the transmission fluid. Is my power steering fluid transmission fluid? I checked another thread were the TM is calling for dex VI or dex 111 however, when i search i find both fluids with the same description. A little help on this one?

Action

So, i noticed the fluid in the power steering reservoir was red and exactly the same as the transmission fluid. Is my power steering fluid transmission fluid? I checked another thread were the TM is calling for dex VI or dex 111 however, when i search i find both fluids with the same description. A little help on this one?
The hmmwv does not use power steering fluid.
Trans and steering system use same kind of fluid.