• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolocked M923a2 Input

jwesley74

Have a problem, would like some input. We were playing this weekend with our trucks and our 923a2 with the 8.3 turbo forded in a canal about 4-5 foot deep. Seal on the filter housing wasn't sealed properly and canister filled with water and sucked in water in intake. It started puffing white smoke as operator was attempting to climb the bank and stalled. We pulled it out with the other truck on dry land and pulled filter canister, it was filled with water. We left canister off and 1st attempt at starting it was hydrolocked. This happened on Friday night. We attempted to clear it out by spinning backwards manually with very little success and gave up. Towed it home. Finally able work on it today. Turned backwards manually a little but in the last few days the water weeped into oil pan. Drained oil, had about a gallon of water in it. There wasn't any water in oil on saturday after hydrolocked so we know it weeped.

Anyway, now it turns over to slow to start and my buddy thinks it could be bent rods. It's only showing 24v right now so I'm thinking weak batteries. We're charging batteries now, but has anyone experienced this and could it have bent the rods that easily?

Any cheater way to get water out faster in this event in the future? Clearly we know to seal the air filter housing. This truck we messed up and didn't silicone seal the canister. All other trucks we have and forded water 5+ feet even leaving sit stuck for 16 hrs one time in 5' of water. Started up next day perfect and got pulled right out. Canister was bone dry and we changed all fluids with little or no water in any of the other fluids.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the rods will bend that easy . Expensive lesson in proper maintenance.Pulling the injectors before turning it over is about the only way to clear the cylinders.

jwesley74

Yall are funny! LOL.

Update, no bent rods. Pulled injectors, cleared cylinders, cleaned intake. Changed oil. Runs perfect again. I was told by many these engines were tough as tanks. It's proved that. Won't happen again. Thats for sure. My buddies want to relocate the intake to the hood similar to a M818. I'm leaving OEM system on our other truck. We seal it with silicone in addition to the OEM gasket and it's proved water tight for 16 hrs submerged.

Thanks for the insights. See yall on the trail (canals) LOL

Rifleman

You need to read the TM's about post fording maintenance, they have lots of maintenance items you need to attend to after driving through water as deep as you have gone through.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about fording one time but decided against it after I read about all the post-fording maintenance I would have had to do. RIFLEMAN makes a good point.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fording and slimy mud is the reason I don't like taking any truck off-road except on dry trails. I'm getting to be old enough to know better.

The exception to this is my current driveway. :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks