• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hyvolt II Transformer Oil and Rubber

yousave1

So everyone thinks I'm crazy but my M35a2 inspired me. I have access to a constant amount of PCB FREE Hyvolt II transformer mineral oil for $1 or so a gallon. I have a 2008 Dodge 6.7 cummins with all emmisions removed. I have run 3K miles on 60/40 transformer oil to diesel with no notable difference, once my heater comes I may try to go 80/20.

The only downside I can see is that the oil destroys rubber, quickly. I'm thinking that due to the higher silicone content in the rubber on the dodge it won't be of major concern; hopefully. What about the duce though, its a 76 and I doubt that the rubber back then is so resiliant.

Any thoughts? I did a search and found someone else was thinking about running transformer oil but I never heard any follow up.

I appreciate any input you guys have.

Thanks
Josh

joshs1ofakindxj

Are you talking about o-rings and seals in the fuel delivery system?

I'm not sure what is involved but you could download the parker o-ring book or similar and convert to Viton or Nylon or whatever material you need for chemical resist. Probably the same materials for silicon DOT 5 break systems would be used.

yousave1

Yes, my concern is about every rubber hose o-ring or whatever this oil may mess with. Are there any other rubber items in the IP that I should be thinking about or anything else? Seems like it would make a perfect fuel other then the rubber issue.

yousave1

My dodge runs so good on it that when I'm switched over to diesel I get annoyed by the noise and vibration. I guess I'll run it in the m35a2 as well. It just seems too good to be true.