• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I’m tall mod?

Skrilex

Banned
I looked around but can’t find too much talk about the legroom in hmmwv. There’s a big bar across the back of the seat that seems very important structurally yet it seems to be absent on the H1. What’s up with that and can I cut that piece out?

Skrilex

Banned
The beauty of welders is that you can actually cut something too short, then make it longer again. A wood worker will always be jealous of that.

oh and yes, my newly upgraded, like new 25 year year old, water cooled, Cadillac TIG machine agrees.
My plasma sits in the corner gathering dust though.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 6-6, so I just cut that out the other day. Much better. I have the adjustable captains seat base and it went back about 2 more inches, and lowered it so I can look through the middle of the glass versus tilting my head sideways lol. Ill be adding new seats soon though and I am planning on moving it back another inch or two. Short kid rides behind me.

Rmtaunton

I cut the back of my seat off ,shortened it six inches, welded it to a piece of angle and bolted it down to crossmember , then put the cover back on.

Gained more than I needed at 6’1”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therooster2001

I'm 5'6 and always have extra leg room when flying and never have to worry about the over head bin.
HMMWV great leg room, even as the passenger :)
See, short guys don't need mods. 5'6" here as well. And to think all of the times I got called shorty, and short stack, and the plethora of small stature jokes. The HMMWV and I are perfect friends, I may just even adjust my seat FORWARD. I can actually stand up (legs straight bent over at the hips) under my 5 ton by the transfer case. Seriously!

Sorry tall, having to duck under things, hit your head on the plane bulkhead people, HMMWV's were made for me. How do geared up soldiers even fit in there?

Skrilex

Banned
Trust me friend, it’s a short mans world. Hacking metal out of cars to fit is easy compared to finding pants and shirts that fit. And sports equipment is even worse. Not to mention the head injuries mentioned. But it’s not all bad, it’s nice to just reach anything. And if I liked live music it would be great, always a good view lol.

Last weekend as ice formed on my water glass outside my tent, I would’ve been nice to have a sleeping bag that fit.

Skrilex

Banned
It’s 95 here too! But two days ago in national forest central Oregon it was BRRRR! at like 4500’.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NbwJK3DuNEw

Then flew to 9000’ and my glove situation was not working (mainly because my wrists are always bare skin due to, you guessed it lol)

alright no stork comments PLEASE ;)

One situation on the hmmwv that I like is that 5e interior is quite long and I could easily sleep inside if I were inclined to.

Ive been considering building a full roll cage for this truck so I’m confident that removing the bar is an okay move to make. Lot of people might not like the mod but safety and function are paramount in a hmmwv to me.

Last edited:

therooster2001

Geez. That is REALLY cool. Its interesting to see the how varied the different other hobbies HMMWV owners have. That lift you showed is pretty awesome. It defies gravity!

I was going to check into roll bar options too. Someone posted those HMMWV test videos where they dragged it behind a 5ton, then let it roll. The M998 didn't fair too well at like 45 MPH.

Skrilex

Banned
Yes, take a look at the way the dirt-every day guys did their roll cage. It worked pretty slick, although quite permanent to the structure. I may do something similar. Not that I plan to wheel it hard enough to roll, but it should at least be able to without killing everyone inside.

therooster2001

Saw that one. They treated that poor HMMWV like a mule. Fluids leaking out, and no maintenance seen before they took it out and the obligatory new wheels from the sponsor. Time to read up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks