• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I accidentally joined a convoy the other day.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westech has it correct! Although you may think it's o.k. to just "join in". The convoy commander has a specific number and types of vehicles alloted for the convoy based on details submitted to his/her Department of Public Safety. They all MUST carry a convoy number, and they must adhere to a HOST of other rules to be able to move the vehicles.
The rule of thumb for us while I was in, was simple. If a civilian vehicle "accidently merged" within the convoy, the lead vehicle would slow down to 35 - 40 mph.... coordinated through the radio so we didn't cause a pile up. The civilian then finding out it wasn't "that cool" would unmerge themselves and go about their merry way. The obvious other issue is the fact that the BIG trucks don't stop all that well and the thought of a camry, lexus, corvette or other little vehicle getting sandwiched between two 5 tons was never appealing.
So, if you ever want to join a "REAL" convoy..... SIGN UP !!! Uncle Sam stills wants YOU.... he had me for 21 plus years.....
Well if there willing to forgo the weight regs for my age and height,I'll go sign up this secound. I would love to do convoy duty I have a class A commercial driver's license with over 5 years flat bed experience.

pevrs114

This is a pretty funny story. :tank:

I also live near a military base, and there are convoys in this area all the time.

I dont think you did anything wrong. Stateside convoys are basically just for convenience and accountability. Overseas of course you'd have seen a different response. We started with rubber buckshot across the hood, and upgraded to star cluster flares into the windshield, and finally armor piercing incendiary rounds into the engine block or axle housing of anything that got in our convoys.

This is is a fun hobby and I enjoy it. I'm looking forward to picking up another MV soon.

Stranger75 of course you will need to come play with it, or I can take a road trip out there this summer.

pevrs114

image.jpgimage.jpg

Speaking of convoys, I ran up on this one today. An MP company from WVARNG. The convoy included two of one of my favorite military vehicles, the M1117 Armored Security Vehicle.

It also included a few HMMWV's (looked like M1114/1151 but had unarmoredX doors like an M1025), and an LMTV with a commo shelter.

cucvrus

DSCF6688.jpgDSCF6696.jpgDSCF6695.jpgDSCF6694.jpgDSCF6693.jpgDSCF6692.jpgDSCF6691.jpgDSCF6690.jpgDSCF6689.jpgDSCF6697.jpgAs I was traveling south on I 81 in Pennsylvania I came upon a convoy heading for FITG Fort Indiantown Gap. All vehicles were marked with 28 Infantry division. I passed several dozen vehicles. i snapped a few pictures out over the hood of Big Red. I was returning from a long run for parts and had the CUCV screaming and keeping the crankshaft lubed up and un-lugged. No lugging here in my camp. Flat out. Only poor results is fuel mileage that I see. I check the oil every day before I begin and it seldom needs oil. Just wanted to share the adventure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks