• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I added a Muffler, in Disguise!!

eldgenb

Wow, talk about an old thread resurfacing. I had great success with the donaldson, no frills, no gimmicks just a straight through design quiet muffler designed for over the road truck so it should last forever. Just my .02

OK, Now for the BIG question. Has anyone with a pyrometer on thier multifuel deuce added a muffler, and if so did it change the average EGTs? When the weather and timing allows, I'm making a 500+ mile trip to recover my 72 AMG M35A2 and the previous owner added a FREAKIN HUGE muffler. I plan to ditch that big ugly thing as soon as I get it home and start working in it. What concerns me most, is having that monster muffler on it going to cause possible damage on the trip home? I know EGT related damage is cumulative and takes time to cause failure depending on how hard you push the beast and how much fuel is being pushed through. Does adding back pressure by way of a muffler raise or lower EGT?
Inquiring minds want to know! :mrgreen:

Clay James

Thanks for the link! I just ordered one. I ordered one from NAPA yesterday and they cancelled it because they didn't have it and said they couldn't get it. This place was cheaper too.

utterpirate

in theory a straight through muffler has no restriction so no egt gain.
The specs for the donaldson show a back pressure of 1in of Hg @ 712 cfm. The Multifuel would need to be running 15 pounds of boost and 100% volumetric efficiency to acheive that flow. 1in of mercury is about the same as 1/2 psi. Resitance drops as the square of the decrease in flow and a deuce flows less then half the the lowest cfm on the chart. That puts the backpressure at about 1/8 psi.

I know these trucks each have their own personality but i put the donaldson on my M342 and checked pre turbo pipe temps with a IR thermometer after long runs up a steep hill loaded. Temps were within a few degrees of the same with and without the muffler. I did this a couple of years ago. I didn't put a cover on the pipe and need to replace the muffler now. The case is still sound but the core and baffling are mostly gone. If I can find the old shield I will try to put it on the new muffler. It just looks really cool.

1987notchback

i know the sound dedener is amn older topic on this post but figured i would share my experience with you guys. i used lizard skin to my mustang. def not as loud as a deuce but have had great luck with it. it sprays or rolls in, if you spray it you can use a cheap spray gun or even buy theres. it dries rock hard and comes in 2 forms sound dedener and head sheild. both can be used together. it is a little $$ 2 gallons covers about 45 sq ft. the sound dedner can handle up to 300 deg and the heat sheild ceramic can handle up to 500 deg. i am pretty sure it can also be painted. the sound control is gray and the heat control is black. can be sprayed out and cleaned. 2 gallons runs around 150-160 here is the link
LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

Odyssey M

Is anyone fabricating the expanded metal guards for the Dynomax or Donaldson muffler?
Time is money and my other restoration project is sapping all my time. PM me with your quote if you can hook me up. I'll be able to cut the exhaust quickly and bolt in the muffler. I think these look sharp with the guards--covert muffs.

Heath_h49008

i know the sound dedener is amn older topic on this post but figured i would share my experience with you guys. i used lizard skin to my mustang. def not as loud as a deuce but have had great luck with it. it sprays or rolls in, if you spray it you can use a cheap spray gun or even buy theres. it dries rock hard and comes in 2 forms sound dedener and head sheild. both can be used together. it is a little $$ 2 gallons covers about 45 sq ft. the sound dedner can handle up to 300 deg and the heat sheild ceramic can handle up to 500 deg. i am pretty sure it can also be painted. the sound control is gray and the heat control is black. can be sprayed out and cleaned. 2 gallons runs around 150-160 here is the link
LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin
The "Lizard Skin" is just paint with micro-balloons.

Make it with any latex you want, in any color you want, for $20 a gallon.

Edit: I figured I would expand this. For simple sound deadener, use latex housepaint mixed with 3m glass microballoons.
For "High Temp" insulating paint, use Rustoleum BBQ paint and the same 3M glass microballoons.

Latex paint=$9.97 /gal at home depot
Rustoleum BBQ Black=$40-$45 /gal
3M Glass Microballoons=$33.45 for 4 Gallons

Have fun.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I edited the post for more info...

You use 3M glass/ceramic microballoons. They are dirt cheap... $5/gal.

You just use a roller to apply, and mix enough paint of whatever temp rating you want into it to make the mix "wet" enough to roll on. Most people use these to mix into resin on model aircraft and other composites to enhance sandability without a loss of strength or adding weight. But all those "bubbles" add insulation as well. Latex is better for sound deadening, for obvious reasons.

RSB3

Ok I just ordered today the Donaldson M070028 and clamp X007831 from FPC (link in the post previous), with shipping to Idaho, total $74.30. I have been neglecting the M109 and time to start some progress. I need to take it out and put some miles on it to blow the cob webs off... if I can get it to go that fast...:D

Ford Mechanic

Just put the donaldson muffler on, here's a before and after of my truck. I haven't been able to get a video running down the road yet, but it's defenetly alot quieter. You can hear the roar of the tires now. You can still hear the turbo when your running down the road but otherwise it's got alot deeper tone now. And it did up my EGT's by about 50* but I am running WMO at 80% right now so they're high anyway. I've been trying to cap my EGT's at 1150* and before I could hit it if it was warmer than 55* outside. So now it's time to adjust my mix and tune it down some.

Videos coming soon uploader failed.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks