• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I almost burnt down the PILOT!!

Towman2277

Well fella's, I had an interesting start to the morning....Don't try this at your local Pilot truck stop, please!!!

I pulled up to the pumps in the rear in the ole' 5-ton bridge truck, had to get me some diesel in a 5-gallon can to run a tractor. As I pumped the fuel, several trucks were fueling, each kinda staring over at the truck, and my pretty, young wife sitting up in the cab, brushing her hair. ( I didn't marry her for her cooking ablities!! Yuck!) As I was speaking to a few lookers getting close to take a peek at the truck, and it's cargo in the cab, I asked her to "fire it up"! She has done this thousands of times, and knows the drill. She climbed her fine self over to the drivers seat, and VAROOM!!! My truck was running. She yelled through the front window "It fired!!" I looked at the onlookers, and said "Of course, she runs like a dream!" Then I realized she was screaming something else!! "It's on FIRE!!!!!!" I dove up to the window, to see my gauge cluster blazing!! And I mean it was getting it!!!! I immediatly shut the truck off, and the smoke went away, and I saw no more blaze behind the dash. Now fellas, have you ever seen 12-15 Semi-rigs fire up and spin off of the fuel isle before !?? I have!! That lady in the building at the check-out heard the ruckus, heard the words "a truck is on fire!!", and she was a wailing on that outside PA system "Clear OUT!!! CLEAR OUT!!! The fuel isle will BLOW!!!!!" By this time, i'm sitting in the cab with my hot honey watching the show! Even the fire dept showed up within about 5 minutes. (They were at the waffle house, and heard the pilot was burning to the ground!) So, after all the "fire screamers" calmed down, and the fire dept left back to their cold food next door, I pulled the dash and dicovered that when I switched on my power, the temp gauge wire was obviously shorting, and was sending nasty black smoke upwards. I promptly cut the wire, ended the problem, and drove my beast back to the shop to finish my days work. Of course everyone in town is now talking of the "Pilot-Steve young affair" (thats what they are calling it) and i've had two thousand calls about me burning down the pilot!! Good day to you all!! Steve

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

rofl
And, by all means, include the wife in them... :wink:

Seriously, though, glad everything turned out fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just have one word.....SMOKIN'!!! :shock:
PS. Do you have a fire extinguisher in the cab?
And are you actually telling us that you wife is so hot, she set the truck on fire? rofl

Towman2277

Yeah, I have an extinguisher in the cab under the seat and one in the tool box. Once I switched off the truck, I grabbed the one under the seat, but the smoke had started to clear, and I saw no more flame, so I didn't have to spray it, thank god. I could have seen me calling for my lowboy to haul my own truck!! My wife didn't set the truck on fire.....just me 5 years ago! :lol:

pa.rich

Yes, maybe I will order that new wire harness! Brittle insulation, accident waiting to happen. They really look pretty simple in the rear half of the truck to replace but the front? Anybody tackle that yet? I mean the one under the dash kinda looks like alot of hard to reach and see connections?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was very funny story, since nothing bad happened! I suppose the big rigs that pulled out of there might have gottena bit of free fuel..

jasonjc

You bet me to this story. My happen right next to the house the other day.
I was try to see why the flame heater was not working. Found the wire under the dash going to the switch unpluged. So I pluged it back in and tryed it. The flame is sopost to be in the eng and not under the dash right :( .
It got hot fast. aua
It will need a new harness too. It has alot of "fixes" in it.
good to hear yours didn't do any real damage.

texas-5-ton

Damn Steve, glad to hear that everything turned out allright. Get some pics of that ride on here. I wish that we would have bought a bridge truck instead of the 813. I like them big wheels :beer:

devilman96

The front harness is easy to do and falls right into place... Pull the gauge panel to do it...

Make sure you also buy the spider for the gauge panel as it is not part of the harness...

If needed the turn signal is a different harness also...

Flame heater wires are included with the main harness...

It helps to add a ground circuit looping all of the gauges together in the process of wiring to resolve / prevent grounding issues.

Buy 2 or 3 spliters (1 into 2), you will need them under the dash...

and lastly... while doing the gauges... it is easier to clip the old harness leaving the plugs and the tags attached to the gauges so you can easily ID where each wire goes when plugging in the new...

Steve if yours talks less I have a equal trade for ya!!! lol

Towman2277

Go in the picture album's, and you'll see several pics of the truck, especially me taking it in the local swamps! Tommorow I will post pics of the custom front bumper I finished and installed today! [thumbzup]

Towman2277

Devilman, you've got yourself a trade!! BUT, you've gotta take her load a** little Boston Terrier dogs with you also!!! (3 of them, and they don't stop yapping, just like my woman!!) :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks