• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am about to install a 5.3 gas burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look forward to seeing the install - The engine can handle the chassis just fine and there are tons of mods available - may the force be with you !!!

3000gt

Sorry guys I was getting diesel at a gas station 2 days ago and a guy came up and asked if it was for sale. I said everything is for sale and he offered a price I couldn't turn down so I sold her.

However I bought one for my wife 1 week ago for 3500 and hopefully it will be in shortly. Engine runs but has blow by so a perfect candidate for my 5.3. Did some research and you will have to have a low profile intake ls1, ls2 or ls6 intake. Found someone to program ecu and getting ready to grind cams. I love this platform and am somewhat obsessed with it. I will take plenty of pics and film some stuff

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I for one am looking forward to seeing and reading about how the swap turns out. Disregard all of the poo pooers. It's your truck and your money do with it what you will.

AndyT

I'd have to disagree with you. 400hp is however a tad much if that's the ONLY thing being swapped. But with rod bolts, cam, a GOOD tune, 243 heads and a good intake/exhaust, 400hp is easily done.
I can agree with that. A good rebuild and tune, 400 is possible. I mention "terrible" because stock they are about as good as the 4.8 . For the about 300 more (here in TX, don't know about else where..) you can get a 6.0 lq4 or lq9 engine with a 4l80 and ecm/harness.

my blood flows OD

That is what I'm waiting for is a $3500 dollar H1 that needs to be repowered. I got a 12 valve cummins w/ 58k on the clock. It would be a great swap to breath life back into a dead humvee.
lf anyone knows of a deal like that in the northeast let me know.

86m1028

I put a spfi 350 in a cucv & it will do circles around a 6.2.
STOCK it has double the hp & 1 1/2 times the torque the 6.2 has.

99 chevy 350 hp255 torque330 @2800rpm
85 chevy 6.2 hp130 torque240 @2000rpm

An Ls motor would really be an improvement over a 6.2.
Some people don't like going 40mph !

Last edited:

3000gt

I put a spfi 350 in a cucv & it will do circles around a 6.2.
STOCK it has double the hp & 1 1/2 times the torque the 6.2 has.

99 chevy 350 hp255 torque330 @2800rpm
85 chevy 6.2 hp130 torque240 @2000rpm

An Ls motor would really be an improvement over a 6.2.
Some people don't like going 40mph !
And some of them do like going 40 mph. My dad drives 45 everywhere he goes.
Mark my words I see this engine being a popular choice

Katavic918

Some people are forgetting about power curves. You could put a 600 HP engine in a HMMWV and if all the power is at high Rpms it will be all but undrivable under normal conditions. It might have power but what happens when you shift into 3rd at 15 mph? Diesels put out lots of torque at low rpms and that's what these transmissions are designed for.

If you are dead set on a gas motor I say go for it. The results might be interesting but IMO I think it will negatively impact the drivability. Hauling ass might be possible but cruising ability might suffer.

jeffy777

So is the $3500 humvee a a rare find? What is the price range on this things?
I think if it is a running ... and run-able humvee that is a great find. But as a parts humvee it is a 'ok' deal in my mind. You can find a run-able Off-Road Humvee for $7,000-$15,000 from what I see and run-able Road Humvee for 20,000 to 50,000. Just having the road title will make a parts humvee go way up. IMHO

I don't know how someone sells the Humvee. I had to state (I thought with EUC), that if I sold it I would go through hoops with the DOD to make sure the Humvee was sold in accordance with their terms. Although I can't see how or why I would sell mine. (I guess over my dead body... or something like that.) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks