• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am looking into removing the govenor!

TigerHawk

I'm looking for information on the proper way to do this, and does it just let the rpm run out or does it allow the engine more power?

The engine is a 1971 Herc LDT 465 Multi-fuel.

Thanks,

avengeusa

DO NOT DO IT!

unless you like the idea of seeing a rod hanging out of the side of the block sooner or later, probably sooner

the guvna is located in the injector pump

Keith_J

Second. It protects the engine. They don't like spinning too fast You might increase the spring tension to get higher RPM but anything over 2800 is asking for problems. Any fuel/RPM mods requires an oil cooler, PERIOD. Direct injection diesel pistons need all the oil cooling they can get since the "fire" is mostly in the piston and the only way to deal with the heat is an oil jet. Put too much heat in there and the pistons run too hot, turning into taffy, then seizing and throwing a rod.

Before you think of adding performnce, learn about DI diesels.

TigerHawk

I'm just looking for more HP NOT rpm. We have a lot of mountains here in Colorado. I know all about spittn rods, don't want to go there! There must be a way to boost torque! Even the old deisel tractors can produce huge HP with a turbo upgrade. I would thing someone has done this successfully!

combat32

Not picking on you brother, it is just bad mojo, govna is there for a reason, roll down the window and enjoy the ride, leave early if you need to get there faster:-D

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't agree, Numbers! Just go ahead and take the hood off. It won't be needed again anyway.

Seriously, everybody wants to make a race car out of something closer to a sled. Rigged right, it would move your house without a hitch, before it would do 70.

Lee in Alaska

Keith_J

How about a 5 ton IP? More torque? That is from higher cylinder pressures which mean higher piston temperatures. And the pistons are a bit different.

Now you could intercool it BUT the turbos used are pretty much in their "eye" meaning there isn't much gain here.

TigerHawk

My point of reference is when I went to a tractor pull and these guys had OLD John Deer and massy tractors with huge turbos and OMG, the performance was incredible! The way the Military built these vehicles , you would think they have some room to play! If I have to I'll buy another motor to experiment with then so be it! But I have to find out what they can do. I'm looking for suggestions from those who have the same sick requirements!

Cheers,

TigerHawk

Qwest for POWER!

My point of reference is when I went to a tractor pull and these guys had OLD John Deer and massy tractors with huge turbos and OMG, the performance was incredible! The way the Military built these vehicles , you would think they have some room to play! If I have to I'll buy another motor to experiment with then so be it! But I have to find out what they can do. I'm looking for suggestions from those who have the same sick requirements!

Cheers,

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can add a pyrometer before the turbo. Then you can turn up the fuel. It should be OK at 1100 degrees EGT. But don't expect it to go howling up the hill, it's not made for it. If you want that, you need a different engine and it is probably less expensive to put a dodge cummins pickup motor in there than try to re-engineer the multifuel. BTW the transmission is also a weak link for hot rodders.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Cheers,
Those tractors can produce huge HP for short periods of time. Hook them to a plow in the field and you'd be lucky to get one round out of them. They are only built to run about 300' and cool down. Some don't even run coolant. They blow up a lot of engines also.

I know a guy that has a Dodge Cummins pulling truck. His EGT will get up to over 2,000 within the length of the track but because it's only for a short period he hasn't melted any pistons yet.

Just get you a pyro and turn up the fuel a little but don't expect huge gains.

Cheers,
I guess the answer is to put in one of those OLD John Deere engines.
This engine is a 50 year old design. If you were to invest the time and money that the pullers put into their engines, find and re-engineer the weak links, you probably could get incredible performance too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks