• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am looking to get a M923A2 in CA and need to know how to register one.

tmaxxgod4

after I get the title how do I register it in CA? my dad used to have a deuce and 1/2 and registered it as a motor home...but that was years ago, so can I still do that? if so how? if not then any advance how to register it would be extremely helpful.

p.s I am Danny Evans and this is my first post. sorry for the lack of introduction. just been searching for this info for like a month now.

maxtor

We just licensed and insured our M923a2 here in California. We licensed it with Historic plates. License and registration was just over $100. Insurance was $59 per year. You will have to get a class B drivers license. CARB rules do not apply to our Historic plated vehicle here in California.

brock

We just licensed and insured our M923a2 here in California. We licensed it with Historic plates. License and registration was just over $100. Insurance was $59 per year. You will have to get a class B drivers license. CARB rules do not apply to our Historic plated vehicle here in California.

I am about to purchase a M923A2 and would greatly appreciate talking to you.

If you are willing, give me a call.

Thank you,

Erich
(714) 488-2100

Leave message if I dont answer.

jesusgatos

To put it simple, Ca. is not user friendly when it comes to 2 1/2 and 5 ton MVs.
...says the guy in Utah. But it's true, sort of. Read through those links porky provided, you'll find all the info you need, and then registering them is pretty straightforward. Best bet is to buy an '89 or older truck and register it as a historical vehicle. If you're looking for trucks, we've got an extra M923A2 up here in the bay area. Real nice. Friend of mine has one for sale down in Simi Valley too. Not quite as clean, but cheaper.

quickfarms

CA is just following the federal rules on drivers licenses.

That is except for requiring a class b for a 3 axle over 6,000 lbs.

Historic vehicles and motor homes are carb exempt.

All being said CA is a lot easier to deal with than a lot of states. You just have to follow the law.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little harder than capitalizing and using punctuation.

tmaxxgod4

Thank you doghead, since I am new I will be nice. I always had problems in school with that. And spent many years being made fun of for it...if you wish to poke fun then enjoy it. I herd it all and am numb to it. that is all.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
how hard is a class b to get
First download the most current DMV commercial handbook. Study it very well. Also, bone up on standard driver's laws. If you don't have it already, get trained up to drive a large and heavy truck.

To get the Class B permit (this portion is all written) good for one year you will have to take at minimum:
1. Standard Driver's Test
2. Commercial Driver's Test
3. Air Brake Test
4. Obtain a medical card.

Too get Class B license (hands on in the seat, in front of a DMV inspector):
1. Perfrom a Pre-Trip Inspection
2. Skills Test (i.e. backing, parallel parking, docking)
3. Road Test
Some notes here: IMPORATNT...make sure you show up to the DMV with a fully licensed driver or else. Don't test in an MV. Rent a truck that is OVER 26K lbs gross (Weekend mover trucks don't count), standard shift and air brake equipped because you don't want those restrictions.

This process may sound difficult, but it really is not.

maxtor

Maxtor,
What year is your truck and what insurance company are you with?
Thanks
Our M923a2 is a 1989. Our insurance company is Farmers. They have another underwriter insure it under their classic policy. The only restriction they have is that the truck must be housed in a garage of some type. They only insure with full coverage, not just PLPD. $59 a year is a great price for full coverage. I would be happy with just PLPD.

Last edited:

dezert ratt

Our M923a2 is a 1989. Our insurance company is Farmers. The have another underwriter insure it under their classic policy. The only restriction they have is that the truck must be housed in a garage of some type. They only insure with full coverage, not just PLPD. $59 a year is a great price for full coverage. I would be happy with just PLPD.
I pay a lot more than that per truck for just liability with a $300,000 injury policy

randygk

We're paying $750 per year just liability with State Farm on a commercial policy, but don't have a garage to try and get a better rate. Seems like all the insurance companies that will insure as classic or historic need you to store in a lockable garage.

Troyboy61

Hi fellas, does anyone know if you can register a 1984 M928 as a HV still in california?, I saw older threads that lead to the RV thing which is out of the question now, so i'm wondering, are the HV plates a ok here still, I know of they're limited driving use...any info is greatly appreciated! ;o)

TexAndy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks