• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am towing a m35

donkdonk

i tried to put the t case in neutral and i could not back up...i am actually towing with a wrecker w/ the front end off the ground.... any ideas? Will it hurt anything with the t case in high going 50 mph for about 60-70 miles

Thanks for your help!!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You couldn't back up with the t-case in neutral?

If you can't get the case into Neutral and freely move the truck with the wrecker I would pull the driveshaft between the T-case and the first drive axle......

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Parking brake on?, lever next to the drivers seat, should be in the down position. If you knew this, I'm not being a smart a$$

DanMartin

Pull the axles and front hubs (and throw them in the cab for safe keeping). Plastic and tape over the (now) open hubs to prevent leaks. Should roll nicely now and allow you to debug the problems in a more suitable location. Plus you don't have to crawl under the truck.

Thanks to Kenny for this handy tip.

DavidB

Recovry4x4 said:
One should consider carrying basic hand tools on such a mission.
Knowledge is a great tool also,and should be along on all recoveries. With all the help and information on site why are these questions so frequent ? And now for the towing part?
DavidB :roll: :roll: :roll:

donkdonk

Recovry4x4 said:
One should consider carrying basic hand tools on such a mission.
I should have prepared better, I admit it. This was my first experience with an M35 (as well as Government Liquidation, and an unmanned site at that). I towed a M135 a couple times, and had no issues. The M135 clearly stated how to flat tow, and the T-Case selector had a neutral. The M35 only had high and low with no neutral stated. I thought I might "phone a friend" and have him look for the info for me rather than #$*@ something up. He searched on here and could not find any info, and the NIMROD GovLiq guys obviously had MUCH better things to do than sit and watch me mess around with it, so he posted the question on my name because he does not have one. Thanks for the help everyone, got the deuce home with no issues. Lesson learned.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Donkdonk, what did you tow this truck home with? I wasn't trying to be rude with my post, I'm the same guy that drives a truck with no spare and no lugwrench. Since the last blowout, I fixed that issue.

ida34

I keep all my spare parts and spare fluids for my deuce in the deuce. For the trip to get the M818 I also loaded my whole top tool box and got a few tools from the bottom box also. I figured space was not at a premium. I am lucky as I needed very few of the tools. I only needed enough to pull the drive shafts and tie them out of the way. I also took enough hoses and belts to change them all.

donkdonk

Recovry4x4 said:
Donkdonk, what did you tow this truck home with? I wasn't trying to be rude with my post, I'm the same guy that drives a truck with no spare and no lugwrench. Since the last blowout, I fixed that issue.
Its a 1978 International Loadstar 1850 with a Holmes 750 bed. I went to an auction to get a M816, but one of them had a severe rod knock and the other needed a motor, clutch, and more. They both had been scavenged of wrecker parts. One sold for $7,000 and the other $9k. I was amazed. I picked the IH up for a fraction of that and drove it 500 miles home pulling a M135! It only has 7,000 miles on it and everything works great.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks