• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a 1998 Plan B M998 yesterday

MaverickH1

Thanks Maverick. Do you know if the H1 arms are plug-n-play?
All I can say is that they were on mine. But they were a tight press fit and pliers were involved to squeeze them on far enough to be able to latch. But it allows me to get the better wiper designs including winter specific wipers, and greatly increased the chances that I could drop by Advance and get blades in a pinch.

It seemed like the military ones used an older Jeep style which is hard to come by and always the old school wiper design.

ari

kcobean thanks for the update glad you finally got the truck. Thats some BS about the batteries and wipers and fuel tank though.

kcobean

kcobean thanks for the update glad you finally got the truck. Thats some BS about the batteries and wipers and fuel tank though.
Glad to do it. The fuel tank they may not have known about. It wasn't until I parked it on a slope with a freshly filled tank that it leaked and they probably never filled it full enough to notice.

The batteries and wipers, yeah I'm a little frustrated by those but if those are the biggest challenges I have with this truck I figure I'm in good shape. I'm a glass is half full kinda guy and I've learned from 15 years of modding cars and being a car guy that if you let the little **** bother you it ruins the pleasure you get from the hobby. Not worth it at all.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
common for w/w pump to be bad. Check for 24v at pump wiring at bottle

I just used a 24v wagner pump from Thailand. Check my thread - Juan's M998 for details. I think it was $8 epay maybe 5 days shipping vs the crazy priced military one and works just fine. This is not a mission critical toilet seat......

jeffy777

I have been thinking about your HMMWV and PlanB Supply. I was disappointed with fit and finish issues you were describing here and on Facebook. But you bought from GP which PlanB auctioned on. I do not know if that is suppose to be the same thing as buying directly from PlanB. They might have a HMMWV that was in process for one person who bailed on them as the deposit and they did not want to put more into it and put it on GP. I do not know what your real relationship to PlanB actually is. Before people put down PlanB or this HMMWV for its small flaws it would be interesting to understand more of this relationship. Does PlanB have a direct relationship with you or does GP have the relationship?

I do think it looks beautiful. Too nice for me. My HMMWV is military ugly... and I kind of like that for me. But I am old and ugly too.

I do not think the issues you have so far are but so bad. HMMWV's are fun to work on so MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN.

Jayo

Congratulations on your truck - its beautiful.

I was drooling over its pictures on the GP auction for a while - Would Love to own something like this.

Sintorion

It is kind of a shame that they just paint things to make them look better instead of taking the time to actually fix them, but it is a business and the reality is that it is a used vehicle 20+ years old that they have no knowledge of its history. I am sure they couldn't make as much money if they really went through them before selling them.

kcobean

I have been thinking about your HMMWV and PlanB Supply. I was disappointed with fit and finish issues you were describing here and on Facebook. But you bought from GP which PlanB auctioned on. I do not know if that is suppose to be the same thing as buying directly from PlanB. They might have a HMMWV that was in process for one person who bailed on them as the deposit and they did not want to put more into it and put it on GP. I do not know what your real relationship to PlanB actually is. Before people put down PlanB or this HMMWV for its small flaws it would be interesting to understand more of this relationship. Does PlanB have a direct relationship with you or does GP have the relationship?

I do think it looks beautiful. Too nice for me. My HMMWV is military ugly... and I kind of like that for me. But I am old and ugly too.

I do not think the issues you have so far are but so bad. HMMWV's are fun to work on so MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN.
I have NO relationship with Plan B at all. To be honest, I didn't even know who they were when I bid on the truck. It wasn't until someone else said "that's a Plan B rig" that I knew they existed. So, I have no ulterior motives here, I'm merely sharing info as I get it.

I also have no relationship with GP other than as a bidder on their site. I won the rig from and I gave money to IronPlanet (the invoice came from them and their logo/name is on the Invoice), but the UT title says the truck was owned by Plan B. So the only real "mystery" is what is the relationship between GP and PB. Doesn't matter to me though really. I think I paid what I believe is a fair price for what I got. Are there things that could/should have been better? Perhaps. Are they a bigt deal? Not at all.

kcobean

A quick update:

1. I got the insurance squared away on it yesterday. State Farm took good care of me. $90/6 months, no mileage or garage restrictions.
2. GP Overnighted the UT title to me and I got it about 8:45 this morning. I hopped in the car with it and the GP invoice and went straight to the DMV. An hour later I had a VA on-road title and plates good for two years in my hot little hands.
3. My TMG LED plate frame and keyed battery disconnect showed up today. The lack of rear plate light should be the only thing preventing me from passing state inspection, so I'll get that installed this weekend and go get my sticker.
4. My new airlift seals showed up today too, and are already installed.

Life is good!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a another lifetime I sold parts for 20 years.
It was common for some used car dealers to spray entire engine compartments to enhance curb appeal.

All your rubber hoses including heater, pwr stg, bypass etc & belts will not last their intended life span. Plan on future project to replace all rubber as it does not do well with paint or "protectorant" products.

Saw it many times, hoses getting soft and turning to mush.

Last edited:

kcobean

Finished installing my TMG plate frame. Great product. I also installed their keyed battery disconnect switch I put installed it at the front of the battery box, but I suspect I'll have to move it because once I put the 6TL batteries in it I think the front battery will hit the back side of the switch.

orgnal

Finished installing my TMG plate frame. Great product. I also installed their keyed battery disconnect switch I put installed it at the front of the battery box, but I suspect I'll have to move it because once I put the 6TL batteries in it I think the front battery will hit the back side of the switch.
Share some pictures of the TMG plate and the keyed battery disconnect installed.

McReddy

3jacks

Did your rig come with backup lights or are you installing them yourself? Here in MO we need those, lighted plate and an interior rear view mirrror as part of the inspection.

kcobean

Did your rig come with backup lights or are you installing them yourself? Here in MO we need those, lighted plate and an interior rear view mirrror as part of the inspection.
It didn't come with them. Here in VA, as I understand it, if they were installed by the manufacturer, they must work, otherwise they're not required. The plate light is mandatory on all vehicles.

MaverickH1

It didn't come with them. Here in VA, as I understand it, if they were installed by the manufacturer, they must work, otherwise they're not required. The plate light is mandatory on all vehicles.
It was my understanding that it was a requirement. But if you didn't have it as original equipment you could make it switch operated. I may have read the requirement wrong because I knew I was going to put them on anyway.

Personally, I'd highly recommend doing it even if not required by code. Especially with tinted windows. It's a good safety feature AND it helps to communicate with other drivers.

I doubled up on the utility and made them rear facing work lights as well, operated by the switch.

On the down side... I leave mine on accidentally all the time while driving around. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks