• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a garbage truck, hahaha

Unforgiven

Anybody know if the stock transfer case will hold up to a Cummins 8.3 engine?

When I swap this engine & transmission in, it would be a good time to swap the transfer case if it is needed.

I read a few posts here where people suggested Oshkosh 55000. Would that be the same as this transfer case? It seems a bit big, even for a Cummins engine:

http://www.easternsurplus.net/images/Spares/t_case2.JPG

Any suggestions? Will the stock Rockwell be fine?

Unforgiven

I think I'm just going to stick with the Rockwell. I'm kind of anxious to start the engine swap ... maybe 2-3 months from now when work settles down. You know what they say, strike while the iron is hot.

My biggest fear is being in the middle of nowhere if the transfer case decides to go pop.

But keeping the transfer case would significantly simplify the engine/tranny swap. I wouldn't have to worry about driveline angles or lengths (other than Allison clearance issues). And I have the complete Cummins/Allison drivetrain. I don't need anything. It has starter, alternator, power steering pump, all sensors, everything. It just needs a good degreasing. I might even just keep it all bolted together. Although something tells me I should replace the engine and tranny seals while it is easy to get to. All I would need would be to upgrade the hoses to that monster radiator assembly with longer (& newer) ones to reach behind a crew cab.

USMC6062

People run stock 2.5 ton cases in a lot of the big mud trucks we have here in Florida. Most of them have high horsepower big blocks and (50"+) tractor tires. I'm not saying you can't break it, but I doubt you will in a deuce, unless you are really rough on it.

hardride

transfer case

I was looking at some M54s that were upgraded that have the Cummins/Allison combination.

Would like to hear how you get the PCU hooked up to the transmission and shift control.

Unforgiven

I took the entire ECU console out of the garbage truck. Allison places all the electronics in a dustproof center console. What I am assuming is the Allison is already programmed to shift Based on engine rpm. If this is true, then it should shift fine. It will be at the correct rpm, but because of the Deuce differential gearing it will be at a lower speed. That's fine by me. As long as the engine and tranny are happy with each other. If it's more complicated than that then I'll just have to adapt.

hardride

New power pack for your duce

Looking forward to more of your photos as you put it together.

Is the connector to the valve body rectangular or round?

Josh

To give ya an idea about the deuce transfer case, this guy is using one in the 6x6 Ford.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5D1iPIPgBA[/media]

Unforgiven

Note to self: Don't mud bog in reverse at max speed with six giant tractor tires.

My main goal with this truck is to build a bulletproof RV with a slide-in camper. Secondary would be to pick up steel from the steel yard & lumber from Home Depot. I might have a load of gravel once a decade or so. I do run to the dump quite a bit. So that big bed with a dump lift will be nice. I also want it easier to drive for the wife when we go camping & for city driving. An automatic transmission & power steering will go a long way towards accomplishing this. So as long as I don't go nuts on the pedal it looks like the TC should be fine. Maybe a bungy cord from my knee to my big toe would be a good failsafe :lol:

I'm not sure about the valve body connection. Right now it's still pretty greasy due to some kind of old hydraulic leak (hydro or tranny fluid). As you can imagine, a garbage truck has lots of hydraulic lines running many different places. I'll check this weekend on the valve body actuator. I'm assuming from your post this would imply round=vacuum=mechanical"ish" shifting and rectangular=electronic from sensors?

I was pretty excited when I found the Allison 3560 so cheap. The Cummins, radiator, crank-mounted hydraulic pump, and power steering box are just icing on the cake.

The Allison does not have a transmission retarder. Instead Cummins and Jacob came up with some kind of exhaust brake that sits in the pipe right after the turbo. For city driving I was hoping the Allison had a retarder. I suppose I could try to source one out, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money or effort.

I'll post the engine swap pics sometime next year when I do it. Right now I'm just trying to get 7000 lbs of garbage truck out of the back of the Deuce. I think you'll find it interesting. I plan to do a crew cab with a full-sized bed. Crew cab for comfort. Full bed for slide-in camper. That full 12' bed is just too darned useful to chop up. I played around with some Photoshop ideas & the full bed crew cab just looked better as well. But that would require moving the rear spring hangers back several feet. High centering on humps then becomes a problem as well (although I think I've already worked out a solution to that, tentatively). Needless to say this is a project that will occupy much of my free time for the foreseeable future. But, that's half the reason why I bought it.

Unforgiven

Quick note,

I measured the rear spring to end of frame distance. it's almost exactly 4 feet. If I want any more space out of the frame without cutting or welding I'll have to move the front spring hangers forward about 11 inches. I think I'll just move the bed 4' and take it from there. I have a crew cab & a 2' + radiator to fit between the existing cab & bed. I'm guessing a small crew cab will be anywhere from 34-36 inches. That doesn't leave much room for a 2' wide radiator & still keep the 12' bed.

But, IT CAN BE DONE! Stay tuned and maybe I'll figure out how.

You want my Multifuel? Michigan's quite a freight quote from Vegas for that. The multifuel runs good. But I absolutely HATE the Spicer. But sure, if you want to buy the multifuel I suppose I don't really need it.

Since the Cummins is already bolted up to the tranny and has the PTO hydraulic & power steering, I'm going to drop all of it into the truck at the same time. But I won't do that until I fully understand the Allison wiring. That might be next year. After that my multifuel, spicer, pto & winch are up for sale. I even bought a rear PTO output that I never installed. Now that I have a MONSTER hydraulic pump from a garbage truck I'll simply convert over to a hydraulic winch.

Of course I'll post pics as I dismantle & rebuild the truck. But that's months away.

How much were you looking to get out of the multifuel? I'll be out there in a couple weeks for a few years.

Unforgiven

Unfortunately, I won't have it pulled out until next year. Right now I'm gathering parts. This summer I'm planning to rebuild all the axles & make a crew cab. Next spring is when I'm planning the engine & transmission swap.

I don't even know what a multifuel is worth. It runs really good. And the Wolverine alternators seem to work really good as well. When it gets hot the turbo starts whining. I don't know if it's not getting enough oil to it or something.

Still, if it weren't for the fact that my mind is set on an Allison automatic tranny, I really like the multifuel. I can't believe a 40 year old engine starts right up every time. That's impressive. But now that I have the entire Cummins/Allison drivetrain I won't need it. This hinges, of course, on next year's engine swap being successful.

Message me next year when you see the pics of the Cummins Deuce on the road.

Unforgiven

You always need a spare multifuel....
I was kind of thinking of that as well. That's the problem with hobbies. You always want to keep everything just in case. Right now I have an entire shed full of Chevy blocks, heads, cranks, Muncie trannies, etc. from when I went through my Chevy phase.

Now that I'm into my Army-truck-RV phase the parts are getting bigger and heavier. :shock:

markmontana

I have an entire shed full of Chevy blocks, heads, cranks, Muncie trannies, etc. from when I went through my Chevy phase.

Now that I'm into my Army-truck-RV phase ...
Sounds like time to get the chevy stuff out on ebaby- and build up the 'army truck' piggy bank. Somewhere in the world there is some guy just starting out on his 'chevy phase'...

Unfortunately, I won't have it pulled out until next year. Right now I'm gathering parts. This summer I'm planning to rebuild all the axles & make a crew cab. Next spring is when I'm planning the engine & transmission swap.

I don't even know what a multifuel is worth. It runs really good. And the Wolverine alternators seem to work really good as well. When it gets hot the turbo starts whining. I don't know if it's not getting enough oil to it or something.

Still, if it weren't for the fact that my mind is set on an Allison automatic tranny, I really like the multifuel. I can't believe a 40 year old engine starts right up every time. That's impressive. But now that I have the entire Cummins/Allison drivetrain I won't need it. This hinges, of course, on next year's engine swap being successful.

Message me next year when you see the pics of the Cummins Deuce on the road.
Hopefully I will se it running around Vegas. Do any of the Vegas area guys have MV get togethers? I am hoping to meet some more people with my "disease" while I am out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks