• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a NAPA fuel filter and it looks different from the stock filter

sp00n

I'm replacing the fuel filters on my truck and I bought the NAPA #3512 for the two large secondaries per this forums advice. They look just like this

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/33512.jpg

They're a good match for dimensions but they have the big sheetmetal screen on the outside of them. The filters that were already in the truck did NOT have that exterior metal screen. I checked the other WIX filter number (something like a 33511, the NAPA Gold number.) and it had the very same screen. Seems like this will heavily restrict flow to the IP and put un-needed stress on it.

I'm changing my filters because the truck started to run poorly and misfire. The old filters were certainly overdue for changing, I'm surprised it ran at all. It no longer misfires but it doesn't make nearly the same power it did before. I used to be able to cruise at 60 without much effort and now it is an absolute struggle to get to 45 on a flat road.

I'm blaming the screen on the filters, what say you guys? I am going to pull the inline fuel pump tomorrow to check the condition of the feed tube and screen to rule it out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you change your primary filter also?

Westech

CPL
1000's of members use that same filter you just installed and have had no problems.
There is no way that, that filter restricts fuel flow.
Like DH stated did you replace the other filter?
You have a issue but its not the filters you just replaced.

sp00n

yep. it was about half the height with a spacer setup in the bottom for water separation. it did not have a metal screen over the exterior of the filter.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you issue is your filters then.

sp00n

I don't think you issue is your filters then.

Rats. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

What is the large hex bolt ontop of the primary fuel filters size? I didn't have a wrench larger than 7/8s handy and it wasn't big enough. I had to wrestle some channel-locks on it to remove it, but I'd like to own the proper sized wrench for next time. Mine is located in the standard passenger front tire location.

DieselBob

Did you have any problems when bleeding the secondary/final filters using the intank pump. Did it look like a scale version of old faithful with the pump running and the bleeder on top open ?

sp00n

Did you have any problems when bleeding the secondary/final filters using the intank pump. Did it look like a scale version of old faithful with the pump running and the bleeder on top open ?

No. It took longer than I expected for fuel (I'm running WMO) to come out of the bleeder. It did not "fountain" out of it but it did come up and it had good volume. Made a puddle about 6-8" across in the time it took me to drop off the fender and run in the cab to hit the off switch :oops:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's ONE of your problems. Run a load of DIESEL thru it, along with some Lucas Diesel treatment. Also, empty your primary filter cannister, fill it with the Lucas, and fire it up. If it still doesn't run right, you need to get your injectors professionally cleaned.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a truck sitting in my yard, runs on 4 or 5 cylinders, he was running WMO in it too, along with some anti freeze, leaves, and bugs. . . .

jasonjc

Wix and Napa filters have the metal outside like you see. Baldwin has some kind of paper out side. It all depends on who makes the filter. I use the WIX 33113 for the primay and 2 33540 for the other. And the truck runs just fine.

Why is it that 90-95% of these "my truck runs like crap" threads. The OP is using crap for fuel???? Or has crap in the tank that needs cleaned out.

Just asking.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am by no means an expert, but I can read. The multifuel engine was designed to be run on diesel. Alternative fuels can be used on a limited basis in an emergency situation. In my experience, when you cut corners to save a few dollars, it WILL come back to bite you in the a$$, whether it's fuel, or cheap parts, you WILL pay for it before it's said and done. 2cents

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But, I read it on the Internet.... :deadhorse:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I am by no means an expert, but I can read. The multifuel engine was designed to be run on diesel. Alternative fuels can be used on a limited basis in an emergency situation. In my experience, when you cut corners to save a few dollars, it WILL come back to bite you in the a$$, whether it's fuel, or cheap parts, you WILL pay for it before it's said and done. 2cents

PCTRANS is 110% correct. Emergency use of alternative fuels is what the engine was designed for. If you are an expert in blending fuels you can probably get by longer with WMO etc. But in the long run it will cause you some degree of problems. If a person cannot afford diesel I am not sure a deuce is the vehicle for them to have.

jrobinson5093

I run my deuce on usually 100% wmo and have been doin so for about nine months now I have had no problems other that the filters seem to clog a lil faster. so I run a little gas through it from time to time to clean it out. but put the wix filters in mine and noticed a dramatic loss in power. it seems the more the filters clog the more power it makes

JCKnife

PCTRANS is 110% correct. Emergency use of alternative fuels is what the engine was designed for. If you are an expert in blending fuels you can probably get by longer with WMO etc. But in the long run it will cause you some degree of problems. If a person cannot afford diesel I am not sure a deuce is the vehicle for them to have.
Designed to run on diesel but not TODAY'S pump diesel--a different animal from when these engines were designed.

I'll go a step further and say, if you can't afford to replace an engine, I'm not sure a deuce is the right vehicle to have.

****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't, I'll take the path of "something different."

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I add Lucas or other diesel additive to EVERY tankfull. These old motors need the extra lubrication that today's low-sulfur pumps don't offer.