• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a "Not operationally checked" MEP-803A what can I expect?

Guyfang

Staff member
According to someone I just asked, this is a modified PU-798A. It was not issued with a tool box. The TM you posted is for the trailer frame, the PU has another TM, should be TM 9-6115-660-13&P. There are several more adoptions to the trailer mounted 5KW gen set. Most are modified for a specific weapons system. Hence with or without certain items, or with certain items in addition to, the normal PU or PP setup. The way the gen set is mounted, may or may not be wrong. Certain setups were slightly different due to adding lots of gear. Like cable reels, antenna masts, antenna base's and so forth. Have to know what primary weapons system this was issued for. When you crawl under it, be sure to find the 4 gen set mounting bolts, and tighten them up.

rtrask

If the rear stabilizer leg is there, be sure to deploy it before you or GP touches the trailer. Much easier to simply raise it back up after you are locked on the pintle, versus having a trailer pointed nose to the north star (and hopefully no one underneath it).
I just finished talking to the GP yard manager confirming my pick up for tomorrow. He confirmed that the rear stabilizer leg is there, so I will make use of it. I asked if he has a fork lift so that we can turn it around and move it further forward. He seems resistant, but I think it is possible that he will help me with that. He claims that all the 803A gensets he has seen are mounted with the panel facing backward, and he believes the load is well balanced on the trailer, because most of the weight is on the front side of the generator. I have been searching for all of the trailer mounted MEP-803A genset pictures I can find. All but one so far have been mounted with the control panel toward the front of the trailer, and all are more centered in the trailer. I think my dad told me 40 years or so ago that 2/3 of the weight should be on the tongue, Google says 60%. I am going to try and get him to help me flip it end for end and correct the balance, but if left to my own devices, I will at least make sure to move it forward with a hand winch / come-along. For safety sake I don't want constant (or worse yet alternating) upward pressure on the hitch despite the safety measures built into the pintle hitch. I have not found it in the manual yet, but I would be surprised if there are not specs about how it is supposed to be mounted. If I find that, I can play the safety card that GP sent me out with an unsafe load to convince him. One of the objections he raised is that he is not sure how to get a hold of it with a fork lift. I suspect that is also in a TM someplace.

Guyfang

Staff member
You can not stab the gen set with a fork lift through the normal fork lift holes in the gen set base. The fenders are in the way. You can try and stab it from the front or back, but be advised that it is very easy to damage the set that way. Take two lifting straps/chains and lift it correctly from the lifting shackles on the gen set side/base. It is possible, and I have done it often, but you need to take care. If you use chains, use padding to prevent damaging the gen set housing. Take a look around. If there are other sets mounted this way, leave it alone. Its supposed to be that way.

rtrask

According to someone I just asked, this is a modified PU-798A. It was not issued with a tool box. The TM you posted is for the trailer frame, the PU has another TM, should be TM 9-6115-660-13&P. There are several more adoptions to the trailer mounted 5KW gen set. Most are modified for a specific weapons system. Hence with or without certain items, or with certain items in addition to, the normal PU or PP setup. The way the gen set is mounted, may or may not be wrong. Certain setups were slightly different due to adding lots of gear. Like cable reels, antenna masts, antenna base's and so forth. Have to know what primary weapons system this was issued for. When you crawl under it, be sure to find the 4 gen set mounting bolts, and tighten them up.
The NSN on the trailer matches the NSN for Chassis trailer in TM 9-2330-392-14&P so I am pretty confident it is correct for my trailer. If you look, the PU-798 trailers have just the "A" frame at the hitch. My trailer has a beam from the tongue running down the center of the trailer in addition to the the "A" frame. This also is consistent with the TM I attached. The GP pictures of a PU-798A I found (Item# 3132526) shows the tool box on the rear instead of on the front so at least some of them have a tool box. The pictures of other genset that use the trailer I have (for example Item# 3132540) have a tool box on the front. Like you suggest, (and I think most likely) it could easily be the straps on the front held down additional (now missing) equipment that was heavy enough to shift the weight forward of the axle so that the load was balanced. The need to make space for the missing equipment may have made mounting a tool box on the front either impossible, or un-necessary. From the pictures as "Light in the Dark" has pointed out, it looks like the load is too far back as currently configured. Because of the multitude of uses the trailer & genset could be used for I may not be able to find official documentation that says how the genset should be mounted on the trailer.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive moved numerous sets around on trailers, from the underside of the genset while bolted down (with forks). It will work for simply levelling a machine out to tie it to a pintle, but not really for lifting purposes. It can be rolled short distances this way too if need be, but there is always a better way... but they will take it if you are mindful.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still affirm that this is a rear heavy set, and you are to be very careful around it as bolted. I have an 802 on a hmmwv trailer, and I have tipped it under normal use backwards. So be careful

69birdman

I still affirm that this is a rear heavy set, and you are to be very careful around it as bolted. I have an 802 on a hmmwv trailer, and I have tipped it under normal use backwards. So be careful
I recently moved 2 802s from an LTT trailer to harbor freight trailers and my 803 to the LTT. I can't tell the 803 is any heavier on the LTT facing reverse. One 802 on a 40x48 trailer , perfect height to work on.

Attachments

rtrask

Whats the PU NSN? Not the trailer. It should say PU ***** or PP*****. Look in the morning when you can crawl all over it.
The pictures that GP provided are less than stellar. The only data plate pictures provided are for the trailer. I will look for the other data plates you are talking about, and that may clarify some things, but like Guy implies it is mostly academic since the original military equipment that attached in front of the axle are never going to be there again. Looking at the pictures with a new mind set you can see that the trailer decking does not extend underneath where the generator is (picture 42), looking at picture 21, you can see that something sat there that threw a fair amount of grease on the right side of the decking. With out that weight the center of mass has shifted back, and the generator needs to be moved forward to compensate. Pictures 3 & 4 show how far back it is, and confirm what "Light in the Dark" is concerned about. Besides just the static disconnected from the pintle hitch dumping the generator on the control panel, while driving it could be tip back resulting in a loss of traction on the rear tires which could be catastrophic for both the generator, the truck, and the driver.

On other gensets I have been looking at there is a diagram that shows what is the correct location to mount the generator on the trailer. Even if there were a plate that showed what the correct placement was for this trailer, it would probably be for how it was intended to be deployed, not as currently configured. I will be looking at the mounting instructions for applications that have only the genset on the trailer, but if I can find one that is mounted with the control panel toward the rear or not, seems unlikely. So I will probably just need to wing it. Also on the other gensets I have pictures of there is a rail that the generator clamps to which would allow for fine tuning the load balance. Those rails don't seem to be present, so I may be restricted in how I am able to move the genset. I will just have to see when I get there as everyone has pointed out already.

69birdman

My interpretation of the lift diagram of 802s-803s is that they're balanced. My experience with both is the bolt down pattern is the same dimension as well. My trailer has mount holes for both 2 802s side ways or staggered, or 1 803 usually mounted rear forward.

Attachments

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Trailers are trailers are trailers.
The fender data plate says what it was designed for.
The trailer you have is a LTT-TQG trailer. That means it has a open area under where the genset sits. A chassis style is all open, a Flatdeck has the decking solidly across the deck.
The LTT-TQG is a M1102 framing = 4200lbs capacity, or some say LTT-TQG heavy.
Gensets of all sizes fit on this trailer. This will depend on what its mission is.
Single genset mounted rear facing (control panel towards tongue) and other times they could be mounted reverse. (like yours) Then you have the PP=power plant, which has 2 gensets mounted with a switch box on the fender.

The data plate has the loading specifications, and will have a CG (center gravity) location listed.

Any genset on a trailer will have a fender data plate such as
PU=power unit
PP=power plant (2 gens)
PU-798 is a MEP-803A mounted on a M116A3 trailer
PU-798A is a MEP-803A on a LTT-TQG
PU-797 is a MEP-802A on a M116A3 trailer
PU-797A is a MEP-802A on a LTT-TQG
PU-797C is a MEP-802A on a LTT-TQG with reels, and mast clamps

LTT-TQG is built by either Silver Eagle or Schutt Industries
Schutt Industries LTT-TQG and it has links to see the other military offerings

Last edited:

rtrask

Thanks everyone, I think I am finally getting what Guy and Mike have been saying about the trailer. I still think I need to adjust the generator forward a little bit to compensate for the weight that has been removed, but that is just speculation until tomorrow. Looking at other generators on that same trailer I found this data plate. The only problem is that application is for a generator facing the other direction. In the end I will probably just need to wing it.

2757304_6465_0_0010.jpg

Chainbreaker

Something to consider...if you might decide to keep the genset on trailer, would you ever want to add an auxillary fuel tank onboard the trailer? If so, mounting an aux tank up front will counterbalance the rear sitting genset's weight when fueled. Also, having all my gensets mounted with control panels facing rearward on all my generator trailers is nice in that I can walk right up to them and access/see the control panel easily. I'll say one thing about keeping the genset mounted on trailer with an aux fuel tank onboard...it sure makes it easy to pull up to a fuel station pump and do a complete refuel rather than schlepping multiple Jerry Cans or dealing with shuffling in-n-out drums of fuel!

Don't know if that particular trailer ever came with a jack type landing gear leg on tongue, but if it can accommodate one I would highly recommend installing one. Easy to raise to pintle height, especially if you have a full aux tank mounted up front and plus its easy to jack up off the pintle, and very SAFE.

BTW, you could always take a few sandbags with you during your recovery to use as front ballast if you are worried about trailer balance. Certainly good to keep weight biased towards tongue when towing in any potential snow/ice conditions versus having it potentially reduce your tow vehicles traction with any negative tongue weight!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts where the same as Chainbreaker, take something to strap down to the front of the trailer to give you some additional tongue weight if you are concerned about it. I'm not sure if I'd use sandbags if this is a flatbed trailer but if they are in good enough shape why not?

Chainbreaker

Home Depot sells 50 lb bags of "Play Sand" and you can buy the woven "poly bags" to put sand in if concerned about paper bags. With that particular trailer he certainly has enough straps to secure them if worried about them moving on the deck.

reset2

The NSN on the trailer matches the NSN for Chassis trailer in TM 9-2330-392-14&P so I am pretty confident it is correct for my trailer. If you look, the PU-798 trailers have just the "A" frame at the hitch. My trailer has a beam from the tongue running down the center of the trailer in addition to the the "A" frame. This also is consistent with the TM I attached. The GP pictures of a PU-798A I found (Item# 3132526) shows the tool box on the rear instead of on the front so at least some of them have a tool box. The pictures of other genset that use the trailer I have (for example Item# 3132540) have a tool box on the front. Like you suggest, (and I think most likely) it could easily be the straps on the front held down additional (now missing) equipment that was heavy enough to shift the weight forward of the axle so that the load was balanced. The need to make space for the missing equipment may have made mounting a tool box on the front either impossible, or un-necessary. From the pictures as "Light in the Dark" has pointed out, it looks like the load is too far back as currently configured. Because of the multitude of uses the trailer & genset could be used for I may not be able to find official documentation that says how the genset should be mounted on the trailer.
Still reading through this thread and I have to ask. The Gensets in Germany appear to be garage kept. The paint is like new. The 3132526 must have recently reset. Guyfang do you know why these look so good? Several in the background look to be the same shape.

Also does anyone know just what happens to the tools and accesories that were on the surplus equipment? It seems that anything that is sold or surplused through GP or Govliquidation is empied of the accesories. Is there a site to repurchase items.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently moved 2 802s from an LTT trailer to harbor freight trailers and my 803 to the LTT. I can't tell the 803 is any heavier on the LTT facing reverse. One 802 on a 40x48 trailer , perfect height to work on.
Balance anything properly and you are golden. My 802 trailer unit I believe was set up for comm equipment in its past life, having mast holders as well as a large reel spool up front, which surely was taken into account when determining the bolt position. With that spool empty, its definitely rear heavy, even when gauges face towards the lunette.

Guyfang

Staff member
Still reading through this thread and I have to ask. The Gensets in Germany appear to be garage kept. The paint is like new. The 3132526 must have recently reset. Guyfang do you know why these look so good? Several in the background look to be the same shape.

Also does anyone know just what happens to the tools and accesories that were on the surplus equipment? It seems that anything that is sold or surplused through GP or Govliquidation is empied of the accesories. Is there a site to repurchase items.
The sets could very well be POMCUS stockage.Stored stockage for war or issue to units that need to replace damaged or lost equipment. It's kept inside, warm, low humidity. No normal equipment is kept inside otherwise . From the pictures of the European equipment, I have to say that it looked not like POMCUS, it looked like normal stored outside gear. We don't get all that much sunshine here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks