• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought another M38A1........

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So at the rally, this guy shows up and says "I have an M38A1 that belongs to a friend of mine, can we leave it here and see if someone wants to buy it?"

Sure.

So I make small talk with the guy and take it for a ride. It has all sorts of problems, but it does have a lot going for it.

Good:
Runs strong, with 60psi oil pressure. No smoke
Correct military carb, 24V electrics, blackout lights
All 5 correct 16" rims
Rear seat and most of the bows are present
Original gas tank is good
Transfer case works fine

Bad:
Floors are trashed and poorly patched
Fair amount of damage and filler in the tub (previously had a roll bar, some maroon modified the rear to install larger, late model composite taillights
Leaf springs are trashed (Jeep doesn't sit level, there are some weird shackle modifications, etc.).
2nd gear in the trans is utterly destroyed-won't go into 2nd gear under any circumstances

So he puts me on the phone with the owner and I offer him half what he wants. I thought he was close to agreeing but then decided to sit on it and see if he could do better.

So I think about the next day but Saturday night somebody picks it up. I didn't know if it sold or if the owner came to get it.

And I never gotten around to writing down the phone #! (too busy running the rally)

So, 1958_m274 comes to the rescue. He had the friend of the owner's phone #. I called him and he put me in touch with the owner and we haggled some more and came to an agreeable price.

I have had M38A1's before (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/16784-so-i-bought-m38a1-w-pics.html and more recently http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m38-m38a1-m170/89074-m38a1-saved-scrapyard.html) and I love them-they are by far my favorite Jeep. I regretted selling our first one but we needed the money and the last one I bought just to get it out of the scrapyard (and it's coming back to life quickly in the hands of a friend of ours and forum member). I don't know if I will keep this one forever. The tub needs a LOT of work. But as soon as I get the trans and taillights fixed, it will be driveable, so I will get it tagged and insured.

I went to pick it up today with my '87 USAF M35A2C and my buddy Dave's equipment trailer.

I want to thank the following people for their help:

willfreeman
1958_M274
Chief_919
ferroequineologist
Papabear
Zout
Dave and Jason

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Attachments

jeeplvr247

Looks like a good starting point for a resto. Alot of the hard to find parts are still on it, which is nice. I need to start amassing the 24v parts for my jeep so I can change it back over.

zout

POP the green smoke CLinto - it has the grille lower BO lights that belong it in - the BO light and guard on the left front fender. I know DIngers been hunting for them bow sets - great capture there.

Sure helps when you have owned before what it actually takes currently to get it right (not restored but right). Took some time to get the owner back to reality I take it ! Sometimes they don't and you just have to walk away shaking your head as they tell ya "Some day I'm gonna fix er up" Yeah RIght.

I do have that other set of tail lights Ron handed off to me you are welcome to - I might even have a set of the spring shakles (threaded ones) plus lots and lots of leftover bolts and nuts.

Congrats on the Jeep.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Congrats on the score Clinto!!:D

I hope you will keep this one and not get too "OCD" with restoring it...just git-er-done to Motor Pool Class and have some fun with her!!aua

Attachments

onegmjack

I seen a green jeep at the back of the rally,did not move for a few days.Wandered what was going on with it.Looks like you got a good one to start a restore.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I seen a green jeep at the back of the rally,did not move for a few days.Wandered what was going on with it.Looks like you got a good one to start a restore.
What is the chance of adding spaces where NEEDED instead of posting as if your TEXTING, by NOT adding spaces, It makes it VERY HARD to read.

FROM the SITE RULES

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smart phone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the score Clinto!!:D

I hope you will keep this one and not get too "OCD" with restoring it...just git-er-done to Motor Pool Class and have some fun with her!!aua
:ditto:

Clint: if this IS a keeper I would gladly contribute with some Spicer18 T-Case upgrading.... done it many times, already...:wink:

G.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Got it unloaded today and in the garage before the rain gets here. Took Brian for his first ride and he seemed happy. He's wearing the lampshade because he had surgery recently.

Can anyone identify the doors that came with it? I think they're HMMWV items.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Some detail shots.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had a pm asking about my tow rig and how it was set up.

The trailer is my buddy's 20' equipment trailer, 10K rating. 16' deck and 4' dovetail.

The deuce has the typical Curt 14082 hitch, with a straight pintle mount. This sits the trailer with a couple inches of down angle, perfect for pulling.

The lights are handled through a military surplus 24-12V converter which I have discussed before (start at post #12: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/87101-replacement-plastic-knob-source.html).

The converter is bolted to the bumperette for a few reasons:

Cable isn't really long enough for it to sit on the tongue of the trailer
Being in between the pintle and bumperette protects it
Being under the bed keeps it from getting rained on

Pulls great and I can put anything on it. I've had a bare deuce frame on it, CUCV's, passenger cars, mules, Jeeps, etc.

Attachments

zout

CLinto - the least you could have done to not make Brian feel embarressed was to put a lampshade around your noggin as well.

He should have kicked your arse for putting it on him in the first place.

Nice pics BTW. Is the jeep around a 53 ?? I just see the early style tow rings. Let me know if Brian has not bitten your leg or arms off yet please.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not like you anymore.. I can`t find one that I can afford.aua
Had you carried your arse to the GA Rally, you would have had the opportunity to purchase said Jeep. Yet another reason not to blow off the bestest rally this side of the Pacific.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Clinto - the least you could have done to not make Brian feel embarrassed was to put a lampshade around your noggin as well.

Zout, how do you know witch critter is the dog?? After all Brian is the brains of the outfit, well after Dawn that is. Also Clinto is just making do ( and crying) cause he did not get a DUKW like PB did............

Good find Clinto

Attachments

woodywood

Private
im just curios what its worth cause i have the opportunity to buy a 1953 thats canary yellow and motor sitting in garage for a reasonable fee!

Awesome find!! I would love another M38A1, but right now one is fine. I like all the looks you get when you're out driving one and the most common question, "Did you buy that jeep like that? Or did you paint it up like that?" People never seem to ask if its the real deal or not! lol