• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Bought My First CUCV; a 1984 M1009

dao

I just wanted to drop in and say hello now that I bought my first CUCV. This seems like the perfect place to be. In the past, I used to be into old BMW motorcycles and Alfa Romeos so the love of old things is always there for me. The CUCV I bought is a somewhat run down 1984 M1009. It certainly needs some work, but I have time and a little cash so it's all workable. I purchased it from a really nice guy in Austin. I'm over to the west in San Antonio. I've already done a fair amount of research on here and read the stickies. I love knowledge sharing. On some other boards I drafted and submitted some fairly indepth tutorials so I'm hoping to do same here once my knowledge level is okay so I don't make an A$$ of myself. I hate it when people on boards give advice on how to do something when they really don't know crap so I try to reframe from that practice. I don't think I ever ran into a CUCV in my 20 years in the Navy, but then again CUCV's don't float do they? LOL Anyway, I'm glad to be part of the group. Dao

1984 M1009-077.jpg1984 M1009-076.jpg1984 M1009-060.jpg1984 M1009-016.jpg1984 M1009-014.jpg1984 M1009-005.jpg1984 M1009-004.jpg1984 M1009-003.jpg

3jumpjeep

I just wanted to drop in and say hello now that I bought my first CUCV. This seems like the perfect place to be. In the past, I used to be into old BMW motorcycles and Alfa Romeos so the love of old things is always there for me. The CUCV I bought is a somewhat run down 1984 M1009. It certainly needs some work, but I have time and a little cash so it's all workable. I purchased it from a really nice guy in Austin. I'm over to the west in San Antonio. I've already done a fair amount of research on here and read the stickies. I love knowledge sharing. On some other boards I drafted and submitted some fairly indepth tutorials so I'm hoping to do same here once my knowledge level is okay so I don't make an A$$ of myself. I hate it when people on boards give advice on how to do something when they really don't know crap so I try to reframe from that practice. I don't think I ever ran into a CUCV in my 20 years in the Navy, but then again CUCV's don't float do they? LOL Anyway, I'm glad to be part of the group. Dao

View attachment 699143View attachment 699144View attachment 699145View attachment 699146View attachment 699147View attachment 699148View attachment 699149View attachment 699150
Yep, looks like it needs too much work for you to keep. Recommend you give her to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome

Start saving for another one, plus trailers, as this hobby is addicting.

Perfect truck for the terrain around Junction, if your that far West.
They are easy to work on, and if you leave it stock, plenty of help from guys here and in the TMs.

Read everything you can. Plenty of info in the old threads also.
Whatever the problem or question, chances are very good that someone has already experienced it or asked it.

These trucks are an absolute blast to drive.
Have fun!!!!

Bighorn

Well, you have a clean specimen there.
I just love the Blazers.
Yours looks very well kept and the soft top is bonus.
Very special to have that.
I wonder if you have a cigarette lighter inside the center dash compartment or else why did someone add that auxiliary one.
Flip that hatch open in the middle of you dash.
You have only one battery.
So you are operating on 12 volts.
Has the starter been converted?
Just thinking out loud as I look at your photos.
Very very clean machine.
Funny you have a center console.
I just tore mine out..Sorry Barry( previous owner)
Can't stand junk in the center aisle myself.
That looks like a Tuffy Box though. Nice place to add a stereo.
Welcome.
We are here to help.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see two battery's, two alternators and the resistor installed. So still the stock 12/24 system.
Fuel filter mod.
Wrong oil fill cap. Needs the vented one. Easy fix.

Nice truck.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an active group of MV guys in San Antonio, who do a lot of events. Send mkcoen a message, he is active in that group. We also have a lively group based in Austin, Lone Star MVPA if you'd like to come play. There is a lot of mutual support between the groups.

http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org/

Cheers

Ordak

Welcome buddy! It looks very similar to a truck that was recently for sale in the Baltimore area. I doubt it is the same truck but almost identical minus the antenna mounts.

dao

Thank you all for the welcome and the referral to the local group. I'll be sure and look them up. Based on some research and the condition of the truck, I'll be looking into the following:

Doghead Relay Mod
New ball joints
Maybe new axle u-joints
New tie rod ends
Checking for rusted calipers
Door hinge adjustment/alignment
Checking for cracked frame at steering box
oh...and I need to get a vented oil filler cap...LOL

...but I have a Honda Valkyrie that needs my attention first...then it's the truck.

Dao

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks