• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I broke the front axle

Pugsley

Me being dumb again! I had just got the truck back after being stuck in a marsh on some logs for 4 weeks, and decided lets try and run over a car!

Well the truck got stuck on top of the car and I am pretty sure I snapped a drive axle in the front. I have no power at the front wheels. All I heard was a loud pop then no more front wheel drive. I can spin the drive shaft if its in 4x6 and can not spin it if in 6x6 so the air shift is still working. I took the drive hubs off. With the truck in 6x6 I can spin both hubs and the other side will not move as well as the drive shaft. So it looks like either a broken axle or something in the spider gears.

I drove it 2 miles back to where I park it and nothing bound up. My friend says that when I was driving the front drivebshaft was not spinning with the truck in 4x6.

With Haspin coming up soon I am wondering what I should do to fix it. I need to replace the driver side bearing and both boots are shot, passenger side bearing looked clean. The truck is a 1972 M35A2. Should I just get a whole front axle and bolt it on and fix this one later or try and take it apart and get all the parts to fix it? At this point time is an issue as I can only work on it on the weekends.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Complete front axles can be costly. The truck needs front end work anyways, I would strip it down and see whats broken. Likely an axle and those are available and UPSable. Junk yard axle could have issues as well. Do it right and be done with it.

Pugsley

It went exactly how I thought it would except for the front axle part. It was funny, the car was under the front driver wheel and the truck was wearing it like a roller skate.

Eastern has rebuilt axles for 2450 and I have a place I can have them shipped to, so that is an option for me at this time. I would like to rebuild the one I have but I doubt I can get it done before Haspin. With a new axle I can get it done in a weekend and be ready to go! Then rebuild or sell the broken one. At this point I don't mind spending a little money to save time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It went exactly how I thought it would except for the front axle part. It was funny, the car was under the front driver wheel and the truck was wearing it like a roller skate.

Eastern has rebuilt axles for 2450 and I have a place I can have them shipped to, so that is an option for me at this time. I would like to rebuild the one I have but I doubt I can get it done before Haspin. With a new axle I can get it done in a weekend and be ready to go! Then rebuild or sell the broken one. At this point I don't mind spending a little money to save time.
Bingo! There's your answer.

dmetalmiki

It's a shame having fun is so darn expensive. Good luck with the (quick?) fix. As the axles are fully floating, why not pull the half shafts to see if one is snapped?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
$2450 a pop for doing things the truck is NOT made for EXCEPT on a EMERGENCY bases which in that case the truck is considered a "throw-a-way" HAS to be a lesson learned, you know the phase about money soon being parted, think that fits in this case.

AFTER the truck WAS struck in the swamp for FOUR weeks, did you pull ALL 6 hubs to get the water/swamp out and bearings REPACKED, or check for water in the axle housings/cases ???

Last edited:

Pugsley

It wasn't in any water when it was stuck in the swamp nor did I drive it through any. I learned in the swamp not to drive where you can't see what you are driving on, and smashing the car... well don't do that again. I think after spending 4k I know what the limits of my truck now are. :oops: Had to learn some how.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It wasn't in any water when it was stuck in the swamp nor did I drive it through any. I learned in the swamp not to drive where you can't see what you are driving on, and smashing the car... well don't do that again. I think after spending 4k I know what the limits of my truck now are. :oops: Had to learn some how.
I turned mine on its side to learn its abilities!

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you has a good time and you feel like it was worth the cost who cares what others think . I have spent a lot of money and time having what i considered a good time.

Pugsley

Took the front end apart.

image5.jpgimage4.jpgimage3.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpg

Good thing I broke it, that bad bearing is the one on the drivers side. I would have hated to have it break on the way to/from Haspin. I hope to have it back together next weekend. Lesson learned.