• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I built a new battery pack for 175a/prc-9

hank2424

now that is done trying to power up but I think I have a bad fuse part # JTL 56A , also may need some capacitors part #AM-427/u, and a part# TF-204/U, AND PART# O-325/U. maybe some one has these,also looking for the antenna # AT-271. I have a GC-0842 antenna if someone needs it. Thanks Hank

can you tell me where you found directions on building a battery pack ..i just got my prc 10 and i am having trouble finding a way to power it to test it

Wile E. Coyote

There are lots of solid state power supplies around for these radios that synthesize everything you need from a single 12V source, and the British, Canadian and French armies all made their own types. A company called 'TNM Enterprises' also made battery adapters for them which would slide into the existing case, but I've not heard anything of them for quite some time and don't know if they're still around.

When I tried making my own packs I used a bunch of 9V batteries to make up the higher voltages, but where you run into trouble is the lower heater voltages which just require huge amounts of battery capacity, and, chances are, you've just finished using up all the battery pack real-estate up filling it with 9 volt cells. Eventually I went the 12V inverter route.

Here's a link to a French-made inverter you can buy from armyradios.com -- http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/product.php?productid=1588&cat=71&page=1

Wile E. Coyote

Also, Fair Radio Sales still has a bunch of bits and pieces for the PRC-8,-9 and -10. The AM-427/U cans are actually IF amplifiers and not capacitors. Sometimes they're sold by lot on Ebay - in fact, I think there's an auction running now. I haven't played with them for awhile now but I remember most of the problems being very low received signal level and/or very low rx audio. One radio I dove into had that problem and it turned out to be one or more of the AM-427/Us, from what I recall - one of which bore manufacturer markings in Vietnamese :) The other pain-in-the-@$$ was off-frequency transmit which you'll tear your hair out over if you're fiddling around with home-made battery packs BUT which largely went away in my case the minute I went with the inverter power supply instead.

I had a bunch of bad H-33/PT handsets and M-29 mics (the type with the U-77 connectors that these older family radios use) which made for very low modulation so people on the receiving end kept telling you that you were talking too softly. One old ex-VN radio guy took one of my handsets, rapped the mic-end on the corner of my jeep fender a couple of times, then told me to try it again. Voila! Worked perfectly. Turns out they're carbon element type and the carbon powder inside the mic element itself sticks together over time/ moisture exposure, and giving them a good rap *can* restore functionality -- elsewise they're doomed.

Fun sets to play with, but a good, stable, power supply is key before you start trying to troubleshoot or align them. And testing on-air between two questionable radios will be an exercise in chasing your tail. Been there. Got the medal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks