• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I can't drive 55!!!

eric_banks32

Literally. If I go over 55 my truck starts to act up. It acts like its not getting fuel but there is a puff of smoke out both sides. If I stay under 45 or so its fine but sometimes wants to die when stopped.... Whats the most likely cause? I wanna fix this pretty quick. Its my daily driver.... Thanks

hovenga67

Check the fuel filter. Also the fuel pickup maybe plugged. You also could have an air leak some where in the system. Hard to say. I would start with the filter and go from there. I had a similar problem. My pickup was completely plugged in the tank.
Brent

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it still have it's 4:56 gears? I would not drive mine over 55 at all. It screams just doing 55, I try to keep it at 50 or so.

My vote is for fuel filter as well. Sounds like it is getting just barely enough to do 45, but not enough to do any more.
BTW, that sure is a purty truck ya got there Burbn10. I'm fixing one up right now with 52" springs up front giving it about a 4" lift. I like yer dual stabilizer settup. Does it have cross-over steering? I'm doing that mod as well. Can't wait to drive her again. I've also completely torn down the front axle and rebuilt it. It has the limited-slip diff too!
Also resealed the bottom end, put in a new timing chain, new water pump, new harmonic balancer, will rebuild the TH400 and modify it with some trick stuff, changing over the t-case to a 205, and doing the rear shackle flip mod as well.
She also has a sunroof that I put in, and believe it or not, it doesn't leak! I used the metal I cut out there and welded up a pair of boxes to mount some 6x9 speakers in the rear corners of the cab, and also insulated and carpeted everything. Like I said, I miss driving her...

Attachments

Sorry for getting off the topic there, just saw a nice looking truck and had to show mine off a little. Anyway, it definitely sounds like a fuel filter problem. If not that, then I would go for the IP possibly getting ready to let go.

eric_banks32

Replaced the fuel filter today....no change. I ordered a lift pump. Gonna try that next. I hesitate to think its the injector pump because it drives around town just fine. Its mostly on the highway (higher rpm's) that it does it. Any other ideas?

Westech

CPL
you sure all the rubber and steel lines are good? every single cucv I have owned I have had to replace all the rubber fuel lines. Also the fuel filter base could be leaking air, seen that a lot too. Try the lit pump and call us in the morning.

eric_banks32

Its normal going up the hill but when I crest it there is a surge in power. I believe it is also rpm related. It spins harder on the highway than any other time and that is when the problem is more prevelant. I got the lift pump but have not had a chance to put it on. I also have noticed a couple of other things under the hood that i'm not sure about. Mainly there looks to be a solenoid on the ip that looks like it gets vacuum lines??? and mine does not have anything hooked up to them. I will post pictures later. Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... Mainly there looks to be a solenoid on the ip that looks like it gets vacuum lines??? and mine does not have anything hooked up to them. I will post pictures later. Thanks

Check all the vacuum lines that come from the pump to the valve. Also check the 2" peice of line at the transmission.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50568-cucv-throttle-vacuum-valve-adjustment.html

Just on an outside chance, this could be your problem as the transmission is not getting the signal as to when to shift and is still in 2nd gear.

Last edited:

burbn10

Check all the vacuum lines that come from the pump to the valve. Also check the 2" peice of line at the transmission.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50568-cucv-throttle-vacuum-valve-adjustment.html

Just on an outside chance, this could be your problem as the transmission is not getting the signal as to when to shift and is still in 2nd gear.
The governor would override the shift modulator at the RPMs he is traveling at even if the solenoid was all the way open. It would just shift like a mofo when it did shift. If he is getting smoke and loss of power, it is almost definitely fuel related.

Have you checked for leaks from the injection pump yet? Usually will drip and saturate the bottom of the intake manifold below the IP.

Maybe clogged CDR valve? That is just a guess there. Good luck!

Sp0okfish

I had same problem your flex ring could be bad in the IP. Have you replaced your fuel pump. Mine was just a kinked soft line from the fuel pump.

jatonka

What RPM are you turning at 60 MPH with a 1008 ? I have 2 of them and I can't stand the scream at 55. I put 255/85R-16 tires on one of them and it helps a lot but it's expensive. JT

wayne pick

No, What's getting old is guys hammering these trucks down the highway and then complaining about blown heads and broken cranks, poor performance and "funny noises" A bone stock M1008 is turning 3251 RPM @ 60 MPH. Screaming? I guess so! My 1031 has a 700R4 285/75R16s and runs at 1960 RPM @ 60MPH. Either get taller tires, an OD trans, taller gears, or an M1009 to commute with. These trucks were never designed to be driven like that. What's the mystery?:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks