• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I could use some wheel bearing help

security leak

So, I am on the last mile of a 200 mile round trip and my right front wheel bearing explodes. Limped into the driveway and tore it down. The outer looks dirty but ok. The inner was destroyed- cage completely gone. So I ordered new set and went about trying to remove the old cone (cup) off the spindle. Impossible. Anyway after using a pry bar (TM method) and then a puller with without success, I cut it off (piece by piece). Probably gauling caused it to weld itself to the spindle. Finally got it off, replaced the seal and cleaned up the spindle.

Here's my question:
How hard should it be to reinstall the new bearing? I am having a **** of a time getting it to slide on the spindle. I have never replaced one on a deuce before. I have done plenty on other trucks. I know they some friction so they don't spin, but they usually slide on with a little persuasion (BFH). Not this one. Is something amiss or is this normal? The TM says to use a pry bar to remove, that would indicate it is not very hard to put on-am I wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:

Nonotagain

If you have a micrometer or dial caliper, check to see how round the spindle is. Take measurements around the entire spindle.

Any areas that are higher in measurement are areas that you should pay attention to when sanding with crocus cloth. If it's really out-of-round, you may need to sue a swiss cut file o remove the bulk material before the crocus cloth smoothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks