• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I feel odd driving my M886

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dad's main vehicle is a retired ambulance, not military. He's never painted it, so it still looks like it could be in service, but I think it only has the cross on the roof. It's used for electrical contracting work. So if he drives it every day without a care, you should be fine. But then again he drove a 66 ford truck for 30+ years, and the most rusted out wood top jeep I've ever seen.

N1265

They are looking at the truck trying to figure out what the deal is with the wheels, Paint them the same color of the truck or swap them out for regular rims and you will be ok. the truck itself looks too good to get rid the cross...

Blythewoodjoe

Is it me or are some of you suggesting the factory crome wheels (1996 maybe) look out of place? I guess I'll have a set of "green" sawblades on it by the weekend. I like the 16" set up though and I just retired my old 86' ford that has 16" stock hubcap type wheels on it, so I guess when I get some new tires I will have to put them on it. That will probably be in the 2010 budget.

The little girl and I drove it to church tonight and all went well. That was in the country so not many people. Now that I think of it, it's the city folk that look at me funny. The hand gesture story did remind me of one I couldn't figure out once. We had drove our trucks and equipment (fords) down to Mississippi after Katrina to help clean up one weekend and on the way home at 80 mph we came up on stopped traffic. I allerted my passengers with a "WE'RE GOING OFF ROAD GUYS" as I moved to the left of the slowing vehicles and into the center median. I came to a stop and then made my way back into traffic. As we moved along a guy passed us in the right lane and gave me a thumbs up. I wondered if he meant "nice job getting stopped" or if he meant "way to go you friggin' idiot- slow down before you kill somone". I guess we'll never know.

SoylentGreen

I drive mine all the time. I get lots of positive comments, requests for pictures, salutes, even got a couple free car washes with it.
I felt a little funny driving it at first but now I don't think twice about it.
Have fun!

goodbrewing

I have been driving them as work trucks for about 10 years now. No cross. 1 was just green and the one I am driving now is camo. I have never cared what others think but all of the coments have been positive. You should have seen the looks when I drove through Boston with my M886 towing a trailer with another M886 on it. I'm also not a fan of the rims. On a diff. truck they are nice rims but they look out of place on an 886.
Drive it and enjoy it. If you see someone looking at you funny just smile and wave.

Blythewoodjoe

I'm working on the rims. I have another set (I have retired my old ford so that's 5 rims) but I want some better tires before I put them on. My regular truck (2001 ford) was down last week so I took the child to school in the Ambulance all week. She loves it and thinks its cool, so poop on everybody else now. I'm sure that will change when she's 15 :roll:.

We all went for a ride in it yesterday in the rain. My wife sat in the back and the water dripped on her, she didn't like that. I have to fix those holes in the roof. It is in the shape it we be in for the rally in two weeks. No more time to fix anything, working every minute I can.

Joe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks