• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I figured out why my Glow plugs are swollen...

scrambled

I picked up a M1009 from GL last week. It runs, but is hard to start. All of the glow plugs were swollen and had to be pulled with one of those poorly made threaded pulling tools.

I drove it around last night for a while and something about the clunking of the solenoid bothered me. I checked it this morning and the solenoid powers up when the WTS light goes out and then stays on.

I now have a set of swollen autolite 60g's in it.

I knew that I should have put a manual switch in it.

Time for new plugs and a new puller tool also.

Travis

southpolie

can the swollen plugs be simply "pulled" with some kind of extractor? Where to purchase? and anything to look out for in advance? I need to extract at least one of mine....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
can the swollen plugs be simply "pulled" with some kind of extractor? Where to purchase? and anything to look out for in advance? I need to extract at least one of mine....
They make a glow plug extractor tool. I see them on Epay every once in awhile

Crash_AF

Before you condemn the system to manual operation, check the resistance on the yellow wire that goes to the temperature sensor on the back of the driver's side head. To do so, pull down the glow plug controller and probe the back where the wire goes in, there's plenty of room for a standard multimeter probe.

If it is more than 800 Ohms, then the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. This is exactly what was wrong with my 1008. The BIA had replaced the sensor (and plug) with one from some other application and it was reading somewhere north of 1800 Ohms. The glow plugs wouldn't shut off for a while after starting and the light would always come on even when the engine was warm. Replaced the sensor with one from my parts truck (in fact, changed the whole harness out to repair the mangled plug later) and all is now well.

Later,
Joe

Armada

Time for new plugs and a new puller tool also.
Might want to think about putting in a set of Wellman self-limiting glow plugs, then you won't need an extractor tool. Replacing the glow plug relay would be good insurance also.

K9Vic

Or you can just break them off, remove the injector and suck out the tip with a shop vac.
That does work, but a very time consuming process. I had to do that with one that broke on me and was behind the battery tray, so I had to remove all that stuff to get to it. .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to think about putting in a set of Wellman self-limiting glow plugs, then you won't need an extractor tool. Replacing the glow plug relay would be good insurance also.

Unfortunately, I have experienced several Wellmans that have swelled.

They all can and will swell.

My next choice will be AC60G's.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beleive it or not, Crash's advise is covered in the TMs! Step by step.

Power Giant

In our CUCV fleet, we have installed a manual glow plug switch in all but one rig. We have had no glow plug problems since. The manual switch, however, can be abused by an operator that doesn't care about his truck, or is ignorant of it's proper operation.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beleive it or not, Crash's advise is covered in the TMs! Step by step.
I've used it twice on a couple of trucks I have repaired. Nothing like a properly working GP system.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks