• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I finally gave in and got an m35a3

OkieM1008morrison

I finally pulled the trigger on an A3, picked it up from Mississippi forestry. it's a 1993 model, 14,000 miles, complete..... minus the alternator. pulled it 600 miles home and retrofitted an old gama goat alternator onto it with a new serpentine pulley I purchased off Ebay. alternator bracket had the typical break on the front bolt ear. took it off welded it up nice and got everything tightened up, put two new napa group 31's in it, and it fired up like It had been running all day. I am impressed with how smooth and quiet this truck is, it runs down the road awesome and you can actually talk to someone at cruising speeds... wow. the CTIS lights up and says the manifold pressure is 1 psi, and then jumps to 3 psi then back to 1psi. that's the only thing on the truck that I have found that isn't working properly. it has the one piece hood so that's a plus, the tags on the axels are 1996 rebuilds, the motor is painted green like the rest of the truck, is that something caterpillar did or the military? this truck is new to me, but I'm loving it so far

m35a3 one.jpg

Attachments

AceHigh

Looks like a keeper! Cat supplied both green and yellow engines. When they could they sent yellow as they had to send them out for paint if the Army insisted on green.

Reactions: HDN

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to go, nice truck. Give it a good lube and change the fluids and you should be good. Double check all your vents, including the transmission vent. Insects love to plug them. The transmission is real sensitive to clog vents. Check the inlet and outlet of the aftercooler (intercooler), cracks can develop. I have NOS intercoolers if you need one. Also, save up for a set of lock out hubs for the front axle. Saves on wear and tear and flip them on and you're 6x6.
Get the operators manual, lots of good info.
JC

OkieM1008morrison

thanks guys, I noticed today while driving on the highway, my trans temp gauge was reading 225, is that a normal operating temperature? yes its all original minus the doors and roof painted cheap krylon red... im going to change that very soon. the awful red paint is bothering me. got the engine oil changed along with the axel oil changed today, the old oil didn't look bad but its peace of mind for me!

rustystud

thanks guys, I noticed today while driving on the highway, my trans temp gauge was reading 225, is that a normal operating temperature? yes its all original minus the doors and roof painted cheap krylon red... im going to change that very soon. the awful red paint is bothering me. got the engine oil changed along with the axel oil changed today, the old oil didn't look bad but its peace of mind for me!
That transmission temperature is within specs for highway driving. I would check your oil cooler for any debris in the fins latter on though.

SniperCow

I finally pulled the trigger on an A3, picked it up from Mississippi forestry. it's a 1993 model, 14,000 miles, complete..... minus the alternator. pulled it 600 miles home and retrofitted an old gama goat alternator onto it with a new serpentine pulley I purchased off Ebay. alternator bracket had the typical break on the front bolt ear. took it off welded it up nice and got everything tightened up, put two new napa group 31's in it, and it fired up like It had been running all day. I am impressed with how smooth and quiet this truck is, it runs down the road awesome and you can actually talk to someone at cruising speeds... wow. the CTIS lights up and says the manifold pressure is 1 psi, and then jumps to 3 psi then back to 1psi. that's the only thing on the truck that I have found that isn't working properly. it has the one piece hood so that's a plus, the tags on the axels are 1996 rebuilds, the motor is painted green like the rest of the truck, is that something caterpillar did or the military? this truck is new to me, but I'm loving it so far

View attachment 574505
hello

your issue with the CTIS on the m35a3, manifold pressure issue, did you resolve it? what was the cause? any info would be greatly appreciated.

moocow

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello

your issue with the CTIS on the m35a3, manifold pressure issue, did you resolve it? what was the cause? any info would be greatly appreciated.

moocow
I doubt that the OP is going to reply anytime soon. He was last seen 3 1/2 years ago, according to his profile. You might try asking your question in a new thread on the Deuce forum. More likely to be seen that way. Good luck!