• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I finally got "Bruce" home. This newbie is pretty excited

Jeeper10

it all is attached to these levers. Ultimately I'm pretty sure I want to remove it all. Thanks again for all the info I appreciate it. I have a lot to learn driving this beast and look forward to it.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do the lines go to the rear ? maybe had a hydraulic winch under the back at one time or crane . Might want to post some pictures of the bed and the rack in the front of it.

AZK9

Does this square pipe go through the floor in both front corners of the bed,
or is it just bolted to the side and front walls of the bed?

cornerpipe-001.jpg

rustystud

I'm glad you've got the pictures working because I need more. That hydraulic ish tank looking thing is similar to the electric over hydraulic system on my dump box.

It could have been for a plow but I don't like guessing so push buttons and levers and get pics of where that thing goes?

How's the weather over there today? One of the big lessons you want to 'read' about to gain the experience from, is anticipating when you're stopping. Especially when the roads aren't perfect. Do a twenty mile drive and time the lights, intersections and plan the corners, hills as if you didn't have brakes. When you need to stop, use eye lead, distance, time to already plan your escape route to minimize personal, then property damage.

I was trained in an old international 5 and 4 back in the 80's by a patient hippy. He made me drive everywhere using only the gear box to slow down at every light. I could use the brakes for the final few feet but I had to anticipate and adjust speed to make every light or I'd be verbally beaten, then humiliated.

After a few weeks I could make that truck stand on it's back wheels and operated it for a decade without wearing down the brake pads or smashing into a subway.

Blind spot lane changes were the only other thing that is a real challenge so as long as you keep the maintenance up, you've got some great adventures ahead.....now solve that hydraulic thing for us.

View attachment 604984

That's not an "old" International ! I thought by your description you where driving a 1940's or the latest a 1950's IHC !
By the way, learning to drive like that has probably helped you in the long run right ?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow..you may want to think long and hard about removing it all. Someone went through quite some work to get a hydraulic system onto this truck...and PTO powered, no less. That means, you have 60% of the setup for a hydraulic dump bed (just make your bed dump) and 60% of the setup (with a switch-over lever to select winch or dump) to run a hydraulic winch motor (similar to M35A3) instead of the mechanical drive....much safer to use. Or you could power a knuckleboom crane behind the cab....so many options!!
Consider what you have there, before you rip it all apart. A well-done PTO setup is pricey to install. I would love to find such a treasure on my truck!

AZK9

... Or you could power a knuckleboom crane behind the cab....so many options!! ...
That would be so cool!! [thumbzup]

fieldgoalbar-001.jpg

Is that 'fieldgoal' looking bar attached to both the frame and... the bed?

Is it heavy, thick-walled steel? It migtht have been installed to keep a boom
from crushing the cab top.

You've got a very unique truck! Imagine the possibilities! :idea: :)

Jeeper10

I understand what your saying. I just don't see myself doing any of those things to the deuce. I mainly bought it for a fun little (not so little) project in the hopes of putting in a few parades with big ol US flags on the back and w few auto shows. Have loved the looks of these since I was a little kid and finally just decided it was time to give one a try. I was lucky enough to find one locally that happens to be the same year I was born. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to get a few bucks for it all so I can spend it on fixing it up.
Wow..you may want to think long and hard about removing it all. Someone went through quite some work to get a hydraulic system onto this truck...and PTO powered, no less. That means, you have 60% of the setup for a hydraulic dump bed (just make your bed dump) and 60% of the setup (with a switch-over lever to select winch or dump) to run a hydraulic winch motor (similar to M35A3) instead of the mechanical drive....much safer to use. Or you could power a knuckleboom crane behind the cab....so many options!!
Consider what you have there, before you rip it all apart. A well-done PTO setup is pricey to install. I would love to find such a treasure on my truck!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic Teardown

Is it still a mystery what the hydraulics were hooked up to or did you find a big ol' tree spade hiding in the back?

P1261322.jpg

I noticed a flat pate with a hole in it under the front fender so the truck has a few stories to tell. Really cool find, keep the pics coming.

rustystud

Totally agree !!!! Keep it even if you don't use it. If you ever decide to sell it that will greatly increase the value !

phxmark

Are there any other holes in the truck bed? With the guard in back of the cab, I am guessing it had a boom or bucket lift in the back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks