• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I finally Had Enough...

spicergear

You are friggin something else Bjorn!!! [thumbzup]

11Echo, 939 CTIS hubs don't flip. I like the Kraz/Zil look of hub out on a big truck too. :)

One deuce I had was a 53 REO used for salt truck service with chrome lug nut covers. I had to get the right front wheel off to replace the busted axleshaft. 3/4" breaker bar wasn't toughing it but I didn't have to use an extension so I put a cinder block a few feet ahead of the wheel, put a 2x4 on top of it so the pipe on the breaker would slide easier and drove the truck forward really slow in low range. Everytime one of those suckers would break loose it sounded like the whole set up just exploded but it got them off. :mrgreen: As a sidebar; a buddy broke a 1" Craftsman breaker bar like that when he forgot to take it off his tractor wheel. The guy at Sears was in awe.

Once the crane is set up on the M931A2, the deuce crane truck is going up for sale!

Gunner0311

3 out of 4

I carry the standard lug wrench, the geared lug wrench and a 3/4 inch impact.

I DO NOT carry the hammer powered variety in an attempt to stay out of the
Emergency Room. Prior trips proved to be less than happy experiences.

Note: I find myself using the manual or even geared lug wrenchs less and less,
and prefer hooking the 3/4 inch impact up to the Glad Hand and zipping the lug
nuts off with a lot less trouble and sweat.

The older I get, the more I seem to be looking at how to accomplish a task w/o
muscle power and abusing my already abused body....:beer:

spicergear

I hope it's an M939 PTO. ;)

Bjorn, missed your one question; yes, checked the valve and it's okay. The leak is from between the wheel halves in a couple of spots.

spicergear

Kenny, you were right. I should've gone for the 1" impact wrench. The 3/4" still wouldn't touch those friggin bolts. Oh, so I had two standard depth sockets for 1-1/8" but no deep well. I bought a third standard socket since nobody had a deep one then welded the other two 'offshore' sockets together to make a deep well socket. :mrgreen:

It took this set up with the wheel and tire chained to the floor and 7' of torque multiplication on my 3/4 drive breaker bar before those suckers would come loose. Oh and they've been hit with penetrating oil multiple times now. Even after they banged loose, the 3/4 drive impact still worked to spin them off. The nuts sat there and smoked!!! Cripes!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

kastein

awake, dead thread!

A lot of the problem with getting to lugs in a deep dish wheel with a breaker bar and applying lots of torque can be solved with a jackstand. The problem really is that instead of applying straight-on torque to the fastener, some of the torque ends up trying to push the extension bar and socket sideways, in the same direction as the force applied to the end of the bar, which results in it breaking the extension, or rounding the nut off. You can fix this by putting a jackstand next to the wheel, adjusting the cradle to be parallel with the lug nut or fastener to be removed, setting the extension bar across it (and placing the jackstand as close to the end you will be attaching the breaker bar to) then using the breaker bar as you usually would. This trick has worked wonders for me before.

poolmike

I am overdue for a visit to the Spicer farm. I have been looking to buy a 5 ton in some form. Yours might be the push that I need to go and get one.

pad_cdr

Thanks for re-starting this thread. I got several good ideas. Finally broke loose the lug nuts on the left front of my new 818. Rockwell 3/4 -- no good. Craftsman 3/4 inch breaker bar with 6 1/2 foot cheater -- broke the breaker bar (exchanging broken tools at Sears is one of my favorite things).

Issue lug wrench bars -- bent in half. Finally got it with a hardened steel wrecker bar stuck through the lig wrench and the 6 1/2 foot pipe, supported by the lower jaw of a pipe clamp, with my 6 foot 4 inch son hanging off the end of the bar.

I like the idea of a 12 inch 3/4 diameter cap screw -- I'll be looking for one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks